Justice Dept. Drops Salon.com Reporter's Subpoena in Isaacs Case

LOS ANGELES — Justice Department attorneys have backed down on requiring Salon.com reporter Tracy Clark-Flory to testify in the Ira Isaacs obscenity case.

Clark-Flory was prepared to fly from her San Francisco base to Los Angeles for trial Thursday after she was subpoenaed over dialogue she had with the fetish filmmaker in a Q&A conducted last year.

But late Tuesday, Clark-Flory said that Salon's attorneys were told by the government that her presence for the trial was no longer needed.

"Earlier this afternoon, my lawyers were alerted that the government had dropped the subpoena," Clark-Flory told XBIZ late Tuesday. "I'm not sure whether it had to do with the article I published this morning about the subpoena, or something else entirely."

Clark-Flory said prosecutors had previously "reassured us that the scope of questions would be limited to simply verifying that [Isaacs] said what I said he said and the surrounding circumstances."

She said that prosecutors wer focusing on one of numerous questions she posed to Isaacs in an interview with him last year.

The question and his response are the following:

Clark-Flory: "As far as your upcoming trial, one of your goals is to prove that your videos have artistic merit."

Isaacs: "I have to do that to sound not guilty."

Prosecutors contend that Isaacs from at least May 2004 and continuing to at least April 14, 2011, operated "a business engaging in the production, distribution, transportation and sale of obscene videos and movies."

The government in the case is targeting the movies "Mako’s First Time Scat," "Hollywood Scat Amateurs #7," "Hollywood Scat Amateurs #1" and "Japanese Doggie 3 Way."

Isaacs, in a 2-1/2 hour Daubert hearing in January 2011, was grilled for much of the time over his experience as an "artist." (The Daubert standard is a rule of evidence regarding the admissibility of expert witnesses' testimony during federal proceedings.)

Isaacs, a self-described filmmaker in the Postmodernism "Shock Art" style, has commercially worked as a graphic artist creating coupon mailers for cleaners and pizza parlor.  

At the hearing, Isaacs, among numerous responses, said that he has been published as an artist and has planned installations of his works.

"I have shown my work on the Internet; it's been discussed," he testified. "People  have blogged about it; people have talked about it."

The Isaacs trial at U.S. District Court in Los Angeles has already gotten underway with juror selection, which  continues Wednesday.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Digital Playground Premieres Ricky Greenwood's Feature Comedy 'In The Bag'

Digital Playground has dropped “In The Bag,” a ‘70s-inspired comedy from multi-XMAs winner Ricky Greenwood.

Jasmine Sherni Performs 1st Gangbang for Brazzers

Jasmine Sherni performs her first gangbang in the latest Brazzers release, "Operation Open Wide."

Carmen Valentina Stars in Latest Release From FreeUse

Carmen Valentina stars in the latest POV release from FreeUse.

Phoenix Marie, Cory Chase Star in Latest From MILFY

Phoenix Marie and Cory Chase star with Dan Damage in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint MILFY.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Show More