Utah Fines First Adult Site Spammer $2,500

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — A Canadian adult company is being fined $2,500 under Utah's seven-month-old Child Protection Registry law, marking the first time the Utah Division of Consumer Protection has issued a fine under the new law.

HoneyIFuckedTheBabysitter.com has been cited for allegedly sending a sexually explicit message on Dec. 4 to an email address listed in the registry as accessible to a minor, according to division spokesman Thad LeVar.

LeVar said the site was chosen for the first citation because the identity of the sender was clear in this case.

Under Utah law, adult-oriented websites and emailers are required to screen out registered addresses from their distribution lists. The registry statute provides for a maximum $2,500 fine per violation.

The Free Speech Coaltion filed a complaint against the law in November, contending the law violates the right to free expression under the 1st Amendment and is unfairly burdensome, due to the time and cost involved.

The FSC’s Salt Lake City attorney, Jerome Mooney, told XBiz that he and two other attorneys, who are fighting the statute on behalf of the FSC, will not aid in fighting the citation, if any, against the site’s owners.

However, Mooney explained the citation is significant due to Utah’s attempt to enforce its law outside of the U.S. He added that the site may have connections in the state of Washington.

“What’s significant is [the citation] clearly demonstrates Utah’s intention of extra-territorial enforcement,” Mooney told XBiz. “We never knew how far out [of the state] Utah intended to reach. I don’t know how they’re going to enforce it.”

The website in question notes that the owners and operators are members of the FSC. The organization’s Communications Director Tom Hymes told XBiz he could not confirm the claim, as he still is in the process of obtaining information about the situation.

Under the statute, the site’s owners, who have not been identified and list only a post office box in Gibsons, B.C., have 10 days to contest the citation. After that time period has passed, a cease-and-desist order can be filed.

The site offers an initial screen titled "Warning: Adult Material Ahead" and a statement that content "is not intended to be viewed by minors" can be cleared with the click of a mouse.

The site also includes an old logo for Adult Sites Advocating Child Protection. However, ASACP Director Joan Irvine told XBiz the site’s owners have not applied for membership with the organization, though she said the site appears to comply with the ASACP’s Best Practices, which only requires that sites label all email marketing material as “sexually explicit.” Irvine told XBiz she is unsure of whether the site complies with the policy.

“If they applied for a membership, they would most likely be approved,” Irvine said.

Utah's Child Protection Registry took effect July 15. In addition to adult content, it is meant to protect registered minors from content promoting alcohol, tobacco, gambling, firearms and drugs. Michigan recently passed its own child protection registry law and Georgia also introduced similar legislation earlier this week.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More