New Mass. Law Extends Censorship to Web, IM, Email

BOSTON — The American Civil Liberties Union, along with other organizations, is challenging a new Massachusetts statute that went into effect this week that is intended to ban distribution by the Internet of "matter harmful to minors."

The new obscenity law extends transmission of obscene material to web content, instant messaging, email and cellphone text messaging.

Plaintiffs in a suit filed this week said the law may have been intended to protect children from sexual predators, but that its effect is too broad.

John Reinstein, legal director of the ACLU of Massachusetts, said in a statement that there was no way for Internet content providers to know how old the users were who were accessing their content and to restrict access to minors.

"[I]nternet content providers will be limited to the range of their speech," Reinstein said.

Further, the law could lead to bans on constitutionally protected speech on topics such as sexual health, literature and art.

The statute previously defined the "matter" that could be harmful as any "handwritten or printed material, visual representation, live performance or sound recording," including books, magazines and movies.

Plaintiffs named to the suit include the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, the Association of American Publishers, the American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression and Harvard Book Store.

The battle is reminiscent over the subsequent lawsuit over Child Online Protection Act (COPA) in ACLU vs. Mukasey. COPA was invalidated by the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2003.

In addition, seven state laws containing similar content-based restrictions for online communication have been struck down or restrained as unconstitutional in cases brought by ACLU state chapters and other groups in Arizona, Michigan, New Mexico, New York, South Carolina, Vermont and Virginia.

Penalties for violating the updated Massachusetts statute include five years in prison or a $10,000 fine or both.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More