Ira Isaacs to Make U.S. Supreme Court Appeal

LOS ANGELES — The Ira Isaacs obscenity case could be headed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

It’s not certain whether justices will take his forthcoming appeal, but Isaacs’ attorney asked a lower court on Tuesday not to send any pretrial proceedings relative to his retrial until the highest court in the country decides.

Obscenity Prosecution Task Force attorneys don’t oppose the request, Isaacs attorney Roger Jon Diamond told XBIZ on Thursday.

“You never know if the justices will take the case, but I’m upbeat,” Diamond said.

Diamond said that he’s been in contact with Justice Department attorney Bonnie Hannon, who also is the lead attorney in the Barry Goldman obscenity prosecution in New Jersey, and that he agreed on one caveat with the obscenity prosecution unit — Isaacs will waive his right to a speedy retrial, whether or not justices take the case.

Diamond noted that the extra time could be beneficial to Isaacs because the court currently is weighing Renico vs. Lett, No. 09-338, a nonobscenity-related double jeopardy case that has some similarity to Isaac’s case.

Isaacs has until May 3 to file a petition to the U.S. Supreme Court to request review.

Isaacs' obscenity case was put on hold last year after Judge Alex Kozinski recused himself after it was revealed that he used a website to distribute sexually explicit photos and videos.

Diamond contends that Isaacs shouldn’t be retried because there was no manifest necessity for the declaration of the mistrial, which was declared without Isaacs' consent, and that it would amount to double jeopardy, a procedural defense hat forbids a defendant from being tried twice for the same crime on the same set of facts.

“My argument has been that Kozinski prematurely called a mistrial, when they could have put in a new judge midway through the proceedings,” he said.

Earlier this month, a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously denied Isaacs request for a rehearing en banc, or with the full 9th Circuit court.

In December, the 9th Circuit decided that the federal judge who earlier ruled in the case found Kozinski’s recusal proper and that Kozinski exercised “sound discretion” in declaring a mistrial because of “extraordinary circumstances.”

But Diamond said that the 9th Circuit’s unprolific four-page ruling in the Isaacs case was suspect.

“I think they decided that this would discourage review [by a challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court],” he said. “Also I think it was to not embarrass Kozinski because it was an unpublished decision and there were no discussion of the facts.”

Isaacs, who owns Stolen Cars Films and LA Media, faces multiple obscenity-related counts in connection with distribution via the mail the videos “Gang Bang Horse — ‘Pony Sex Game,’” “Mako’s First Time Scat,” “Hollywood Scat Amateurs No. 7” and “BAE 20.”

Federal prosecutors allege that the films are obscene and have no artistic merit. But Isaacs claims the films have both artistic and political value.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Phoenix Marie, Cory Chase Star in Latest From MILFY

Phoenix Marie and Cory Chase star with Dan Damage in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint MILFY.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Show More