Apple Confirms: No Porn on iPhone

CUPERTINO, Calif. — On the heels of rejecting a nudity-filled app from its App Store, Apple has confirmed that it won’t allow porn on the iPhone, much to the confusion of everyone.

Yesterday, Apple approved an app called Hottest Girls, which delivers about 2,200 images of attractive women, including many topless shots, a first for the App Store.

Hours later, Apple removed the app from the American version of the App Store. The app is reportedly still available in Europe. The app's developer, known as Allen The Geek, said that Apple hadn’t banned the app, claiming that he simply removed the app because all the downloads kept crashing his servers.

But Apple soon released a statement to CNN that simultaneously blamed the developer for dishonestly submitting an adult app and confirmed the company’s policy against accepting porn.

The statement reads, “Apple will not distribute applications that contain inappropriate content, such as pornography. The developer of this application added inappropriate content directly from their server after the application had been approved and distributed, and after the developer had subsequently been asked to remove some offensive content. This was a direct violation of the terms of the iPhone Developer Program. The application is no longer available on the App Store.”

Apple’s reversal is drawing criticism from online pundits, including analyst MG Siegler of leading tech blog TechCrunch.com. Siegler wondered if anyone was "actually in charge" of setting standards for adult content over at Apple.

"I’m starting to think this whole system is run by a group of people, all with different thoughts on the approach Apple should take with apps," Siegler said. "And none of whom seem to communicate with each other very well."

Apple's rejection of the app would also seem to contradict its own policy. The company recently released the newest version of the iPhone operating system, which includes parental controls. The App Store reflects those new features with onscreen warnings about adult apps.

The Hottest Girls app itself included such language, including an onscreen prompt that appeared immediately before download and asked the user for confirmation of age.

"The App Store approval process has basically been a joke for much of the past year," Siegler said. "I was hopeful it would get better now that parental controls are a part of the iPhone 3.0 software. Apparently, I was wrong. It looks like it’s getting worse."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More