Mainstream Movie Studios Getting Antsy About 2257

WASHINGTON — Legislation proposed last month by Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., intended to strengthen U.S.C. 18 § 2257 record-keeping regulations, may have the unexpected side effect of inspiring mainstream Hollywood to wage its own battle against the burdensome regulations.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, execs at major motion picture studios are fretting about the possible chilling effects the Pence bill could have on their products. Even more telling, the Los Angeles Times reports that several Hollywood studios have sent lobbyists to Washington in the hopes of derailing support for the bill.

The brouhaha has representatives for the motion picture industry sounding an awful lot like seasoned adult entertainment lawyers.

“We are extremely concerned that this measure is overly broad and violates the constitutional protections of free speech,” said Erik V. Huey, an attorney representing the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.

Among other provisions, H.R. 3726 criminalizes the production and distribution of R-rated mainstream motion pictures that fail to comply with the record creation and notice provisions of 2257, according to Jeffrey Douglas, lead counsel in the Free Speech Coalition’s 2257-related lawsuit against the U.S. Justice Department.

As reported by XBiz, the bill was attached in September to another bill, H.R. 3132, The Child Safety Act of 2005, and passed the same day by the full House in a 371-52 vote. It is currently being reviewed by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Now, Hollywood studios are kvetching that the legislation would saddle them with nearly insurmountable record-keeping requirements. Specifically, they say, they would be forced to keep detailed records — including the names, ages and proof of identification — for actors appearing in virtually any physically romantic scene, even those involving no nudity.

Still, it is unlikely that Hollywood will be willing to join hands with the adult entertainment industry in its ongoing struggle against 2257.

When asked if the situation could be turned into an opportunity to invite mainstream studios to stand together with the industry in the name of free speech, First Amendment attorney J.D. Obenberger stated flatly, “Not in a million years.

“You’ve got to understand one thing: They have some credibility in Washington; we’ve got none,” Obenberger said. “If anything, I think that would take the wind out of their sails and be counter productive. It would only water down whatever strength they have.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Show More