Bali Political Party Challenges Anti-Porn Law With Petition

JAKARTA — The Bali People’s Component, known as the KRB, has finalized a judicial review challenging the recently ratified anti-pornography law and plans to present the review to the Constitutional Court on Jan. 9.

The law, which loosely defines pornography as any work that has the potential to arouse sexual desire, criminalizes the production and distribution with heavy fines and up to 12 years imprisonment for producers and distributors. The law also threatens those who download pornographic material with up to four years imprisonment.

Despite its overwhelming party majority in the House of Representatives, the law was met with harsh criticism, including rallies and street demonstrations, after getting officially signed into law by Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono last month.

“We are disappointed that President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has signed the law,” said I Gusti Ngurah Harta, head of the KRB. “We will not vote for him in the elections next year.”

In its 50-page legal challenge, the KRB argues that the law “has trampled upon at least five constitutional rights granted to all Indonesian citizens,” said I Dewa Gde Palguna, chief legal advisor of the KRB, in that it denies Indonesian people in 21 separate professions their basic right to the freedom of expression, among other things. Some of the “at-risk” professions include dancers, playwrights, reporters, composers and gymnastics instructors, among others.

The petition also holds that the law serves as a potential threat to tourism and thus, the Balinese economy, and that it undermines Balinese culture and society.

“[The president’s] action goes against the spirit of the constitution and declaration of our independence,” said Wayan Sayoga, executive director of the National Integration Movement. “This law is not beneficial at all, except for leading the way to national disintegration.”

Harta says the KRB will request autonomy status for Bali and be “ready for civil disobedience” if the request for judicial review is denied by the Constitutional Court.

The KRB has estimated that the court will need about four months to come to a decision.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More