Chinese Mobile Resellers Using Porn to Push Products

BENGBU, China — While analysts are in wide disagreement about the potential market for mobile adult content, resellers of wireless products in the Anhui province in Southeast China are showing which side of the debate they fall on. Many have taken to pre-loading free porn clips into multimedia headsets in an effort to boost sales, and early reports indicate the ploy is working.

According to the country’s official news agency, the idea came about organically, as sales reps would often use adult clips to demonstrate hardware during sales pitches. One vendor said he offered to include a few clips on a Motorola E398 as an incentive to get a customer to buy and decided to continue making similar offering to other customers.

Vendors may not be able to keep using porn as a premium for much longer.

While China has seen sweeping changes in attitudes and openness about sex and the country has become by far the world’s largest supplier of sex toys, the Chinese government has stepped up efforts to keep its citizens from accessing Internet pornography.

While there is a large market for pirated adult DVDs, pornography remains strictly forbidden, and the government has gone to great lengths to keep porn from reaching its citizens, especially where the Internet is concerned.

The government controls all access to the web and has developed what is widely considered the most sophisticated state-run filtering initiative in the world, aimed squarely at keeping porn off of citizens’ computers, and at preventing the country’s 100 million web surfers from accessing porn.

Last year China began an extensive program of shutting down 47,000 unlicensed Internet cafes and 1,800 adult websites. The government employs more than 30,000 people to oversee the Internet seeking out both offending sites and users. Earlier this year, China broke up what it said was an extensive Internet porn ring, sentencing a dozen webmasters to jail sentences for distributing porn online.

The government isn’t likely to be any more tolerant of distribution through mobile devices.

A police spokesperson in Anhui said his department will be on the lookout for porn-as-premium schemes, but admitted that it is “difficult to discover and collect adequate evidence for prosecuting such cases.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More