Phoenix New Times Charges Dropped

PHOENIX — Phoenix New Times owners Jim Larkin and Michael Lacey were released Oct. 19, less than 24 hours after being arrested for publishing details of a grand jury subpoena that had demanded the Internet records of every person who had visited the New Times website since 2004.

This occurrence of events underscores the role the Internet plays in the invasion of privacy and free speech rights. Public backlash against the arrests came from across the political spectrum, with the conservative Goldwater Institute among the supporters of the New Times.

"The subpoena against the New Times is possibly the broadest invasion of privacy and free speech rights that I've ever seen," said Clint Bolick, director of the Goldwater Institute's Center for Constitutional Litigation. "The notion that thousands of readers of the New Times website would have their own Internet browsing investigated is absolutely appalling … This is a huge deprivation of personal privacy and involves tens of thousands of innocent people."

Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas dismissed all charges Oct. 19 after the arrests, just hours after Arizona's State Bar Association launched an internal investigation into Thomas and special prosecutor Dennis Wilenchik for their actions in the New Times case and an unrelated one.

Thomas claimed he had no prior knowledge of the arrests or the demands in the subpoena that had been issued from his office.

"It has become clear to me that this investigation has gone in a direction that I would not have authorized," Thomas said. "There have been serious missteps in this matter. I am announcing that Mr. Wilenchik will no longer serve as special prosecutor."

New Times has battled the County Attorney's office for years over charges that reporters and editors broke the law when they published the home address of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio online.

The case dates back to a New Times investigation of Arpaio's real estate holdings in 2004, which alleged the sheriff had abused a law that allows peace officers to keep their addresses from being made public. It said Arpaio used the law to hide nearly $1 million in cash real estate transactions while leaving his actual home address on public rolls.

Larkin and Lacey were arrested on charges that they broke the law by publishing details of the subpoena in the Oct. 19 issue. In the article, titled "Breathtaking Abuse of the Constitution" Lacey and Larkin acknowledged that they risked prosecution but said the issues were too important to keep from the public.

Also on Oct. 19 the Arizona Republic went to court requesting that all court filings in the case that led to the arrests of Larkin and Lacey be unsealed and that all future proceedings be opened to the public. In an editorial published Oct. 21, the Republic said attorneys for Phoenix Newspapers Inc., its publisher, and Channel 12 (KPNX-TV) filed a motion seeking access to transcripts and court filings.

In the editorial, the Republic said it "often is leery of New Times' style of free-for-all journalism. But, in this appalling overreach of government intrusion, both the New Times and the public were grievously wronged."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More