China Installs Online Porn Patrol

BEIJING — Starting Saturday, the Chinese government will implement virtual police officers to patrol websites that contain adult-oriented content and other “illicit” online activity.

Two cartoon-like figures outfitted as police on motorcycles, in cars and on foot will appear at the bottom of users’ computer screens every 30 minutes, to remind them of “Internet security,” the China Daily newspaper reported yesterday.

By clicking the icons, citizens will be linked to the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau of Internet Surveillance where they can report illegal activities.

“It is our duty to wipe out information that does public harm and disrupts social order,” the bureau’s deputy chief of Internet Surveillance Zhao Hongzhi said.

The police first will monitor major news portals including Sohu.com and Sina.com and is scheduled to monitor all Beijing-based websites and online forums by the end of the year.

The bureau will be on the lookout for sites that “incite secession, promote superstition, gambling and fraud,” a bureau official named Tian said.

Calling online users “netizens,” Zhao said, “The virtual police officers will faithfully fulfill their duties, listen to the suggestions of netizens and protect them from harm. We have achieved visible results in recent months but there is still a long way to go. The virtual cops will better communicate with netizens and improve our efficiency.”

Beijing-based web hosting provider Xirang said that Internet police have mobilized all resources, from China’s second-largest fixed-line operator Netcom to online security company Symantec, in order to restrict potentially harmful Internet content.

Sohu.com, which created the virtual police, praised the Internet monitoring program. The company’s chief operating officer Gong Yu said, “Illegal activities have affected the healthy development of the Internet and especially harm youths. Most netizens are young people.”

China has approximately 163 million Internet users and 5.4 million are located in Beijing.

So far, the bureau says it has identified 128,000 web pages with adult content and shut down 244 pornographic sites.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More