Google Video Goes Live; No Porn Allowed

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Just days after Google co-founder Larry Page indicated that the company’s upcoming video submission service would welcome adult content, the company has changed its position.

Google launched its Video Upload program Wednesday after creating buzz last week, when Page told an audience at a telecommunications show: “In the next few days, we’re actually going to start taking video submissions from people. We’re not quite sure what we’re going to get, but we decided to try this experiment.”

At the time, Page said there would be no restrictions on the type of content allowed.

However, a Google FAQ page outlining the program states, “The video must contain no pornographic or obscene material.”

When InternetWeek.com reporter Paul Kapustka emailed a Google spokesperson to ask who would determine whether material is obscene, the spokesperson replied, “We will,” but offered no details on how such a determination will be made.

Although the company has started accepting video submissions, it has not made public the date when videos will be available for viewing by surfers pending unresolved licensing issues.

Jennifer Felkin, director of Google Video Upload, said content owners will retain all copyrights on material they submit, control distribution rights and be allowed to direct surfers to the websites and set prices for viewing of their material.

However, Felkin added that all submissions must allow surfers to preview video clips for free; and Google will take a small share of revenue from viewing fees in order to cover costs.

According to the FAQ page, Google is accepting video in QuickTime, Windows Media and RealVideo formats but prefers MPEG4 and MPEG2 submissions. To assist with indexing, content owners can include metadata, captions and transcripts with their video files.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

Show More