Tower Settles FTC Charges; Alyon Notation Altered

WASHINGTON, D.C – The Federal Trade Commission said Wednesday it has settled with Tower Records over a security flaw in the music giant’s website that exposed customer data to other Internet surfers.

The FTC says that the TowerRecords.com website made claims such as “We use state-of-the-art technology to safeguard your personal information,” and “You and only you have access to this information.”

But the FTC says that surfers could easily access order history records and view certain personal information about other customers, such as names, billing and shipping address, email addresses, phone numbers, and past Tower purchases.

FTC spokesman Howard Beales said that it is the agency’s fourth case targeting companies that make false claims and misrepresent the security of consumer information.

“Companies must have reasonable procedures in place to make sure that changes do not create new vulnerabilities,” Beales said. “Just as consumers remodeling their homes would make sure that the doors still have locks, companies should make sure that sensitive data is still protected.”

The Tower consent agreement requires that the Sacramento, Calif.-based company implement a security program, as well as third-party audits of its website security every two years.

Separately, the FTC said that an October press release it issued on payment processor Alyon Technologies Inc. of New York was incorrect. The release indicated erroneously that U.S. District Court had prohibited Alyon from "billing, collecting, or attempting to collect payment" for services the company rendered via a deal with providers of online adult content.

The FTC said that the court did not prohibit billing but, instead, set forth the parameters under which Alyon may continue to conduct business.

The FTC and 13 state attorneys general charged last year that Alyon was illegally billing and collecting for videotext services accessed on the Internet.

Regulators claim that Alyon used a modem dialing program that disconnected consumers from their own Internet service providers and reconnected them to the Internet sites Alyon billed for without the consumers' authorization or approval.

Using the dialing program, the FTC said that Alyon captured the telephone number used by the modem and matched it against several databases of line subscriber information. The agency said the databases frequently contained errors.

The line subscribers identified as responsible for the captured telephone number later received bills charging them $4.99 a minute for each minute the defendants claim videotext services were purchased, regardless of whether the line subscribers authorized the purchase, the FTC said.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More