Florida Age Verification Law Faces Legal Challenge

Florida Age Verification Law Faces Legal Challenge

TALLAHASSEE, Florida — Tech industry trade groups NetChoice and the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA) filed a lawsuit Monday challenging Florida’s HB 3, which includes a requirement for adult websites to verify the age of site visitors in the state.

Both groups have previously taken stands and participated in litigation against age verification legislation, aligning with Free Speech Coalition (FSC) and its allies on the free speech, privacy and security issues raised by such laws.

In a statement, CCIA noted that HB 3, which is set to take effect Jan. 1, 2025, “would restrict users’ access to lawful content that is protected by the First Amendment.” 

The suit, filed with the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, in the Tallahassee Division, argues that “As courts have repeatedly reaffirmed, requiring adults to verify their age before accessing speech significantly burdens First Amendment rights.”

Industry attorney Lawrence Walters, of the Florida-based Walters Law Group, told XBIZ on Tuesday, “Numerous options are widely available for parents to restrict access to content or applications that they believe are inappropriate for their children. These options exist at the network level, carrier level, browser level, and application level, and are far more effective to protect minors from exposure to inappropriate materials without violating constitutional rights.”

The suit also objects to provisions that restrict minors’ access to social media, arguing that those measures also violate First Amendment rights. Walters shed light on that aspect as well.

“Florida has taken it upon itself to decide that minors of a certain age may not use social media,” Walters explained. “The state has also determined that minors of other ages must obtain parental consent before accessing social media services. Denying minors the ability to access and engage in the marketplace of ideas on social media platforms is not the proper role of government and violates the First Amendment under established case law.”

As XBIZ reported in March, when the bill was passed by the Florida legislature, HB 3 is a much expanded version of a bill originally introduced by Rep. Chase Tramont, a politician and ordained clergyman who serves as pastor at Oceanway Church in New Smyrna Beach. Tramont's bill originally only targeted adult websites, but broader regulations about social media were added to it later.

When Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the bill into law shortly thereafter, FSC condemned the measure as “deeply unconstitutional.”

According to the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper, the case has been assigned to Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Walker, an appointee of President Barack Obama.

A representative of Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody told the paper, “As a mother, Attorney General Moody will fight aggressively in court to ensure the ability to protect Florida children.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More