Judge Grants 402 Models Copyrights to Their GirlsDoPorn Content

Judge Grants 402 Models Copyrights to Their GirlsDoPorn Content

SAN DIEGO (CN) — In an unusual decision, U.S. District Judge Janis Sammartino granted an order of restitution Friday transferring the copyright of hundreds of GirlsDoPorn videos to the models who appear in them.

Judge Sammartino issued the order as part of the judgement against the site’s disgraced scout and male talent, Ruben Andre "Dre" Garcia.

A January 2019 federal indictment named owner and mastermind Michael Pratt, Matthew Wolfe, Theodore "Teddy" Gyi, Valorie Moser, Amberlyn Dee Nored (aka Amberlyn Clark) and Garcia as co-conspirators in the GDP operation.

Garcia was sentenced to 20 years in June after pleading guilty in December 2020 to charges of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion; and sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion.

Pratt has been a fugitive from U.S. federal authorities since late 2019 and was last presumed to be in his native New Zealand.

A Very Unusual Decision

Friday’s decision is unusual for a number of reasons. A civil case against the GDP defendants predated the unsealing of the criminal case and the arrest of most of the people responsible for the site. That case was brought forward by 22 Jane Does, who eventually won it after the criminal case was well underway.

Judge Sammartino, however, explicitly granted the omnibus copyright transfer to 402 models who appeared on the site. All these models “can now seek takedown notices under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act against websites that continue to allow pirated versions of the flicks to be republished on their websites,” Courthouse News reported Friday.

“It awards the video rights to all known victims who filmed with GirlsDoPorn, not just the Does listed in the civil contract fraud case or those who sought restitution from Garcia,” one of the prosecutors, Assistant U.S. Attorney Alexandra Foster, told Courthouse News after the hearing.

“I think we all recognize Mr. Garcia is not a wealthy man; what is driving this is the rights to the videos. 402 victims is significantly larger than the victims listed in the cases,” Foster told the legal news site. “They now have the ability, without filing a civil suit, to seek take down orders.”

'It Is Now a Copyright Issue'

Brian Holm, the attorney for the 22 Jane Does in the civil suit that resulted in the shuttering of GDP and exposed its criminal methods, told Courthouse News that “this order is so encompassing and wide-ranging, there shouldn’t be any question the person asking for the takedown is a victim.”

“Most sites at this point shouldn’t mess with any GirlsDoPorn content, since it is now a copyright issue,” Holm added, pointing out that “some of his clients had been previously successful in using Judge Enright’s order from Jan. 2020 to get their videos taken down, only for the videos to resurface and show up in Google search results,” Courthouse News reported.

Holm also said that all the site’s models can now use Judge Sammartino’s order to “ask videos on Google to be deindexed.”

“Every video is the result of a sex trafficking scheme and shouldn’t be showing up in search results,” Holm continued. “It’s sad it takes the copyrights, as opposed to their status as a victim of sex trafficking, to get the videos taken down.”

Sammartino’s order, the legal news site reported, “also granted $907,000 in restitution to 23 of Garcia’s victims to cover medical and mental health care and other costs. GirlsDoPorn’s gross income — estimated to be nearly $17 million — was also ordered as restitution.”

In October 2021, the FBI raised the reward offered for information leading to Pratt’s arrest to $50,000.

For more of XBIZ’s coverage of the GDP case, click here.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More