Zoned-Out N.Y. Adult Businesses to Argue Case in January

Zoned-Out N.Y. Adult Businesses to Argue Case in January

NEW YORK — The federal lawsuit that seeks a preliminary injunction over adult zoning regulations in Manhattan is gearing up, with oral arguments in the case set to begin on Thursday, Jan. 24.

In the spring, four adult businesses — the adult bookstore The Erotica, along with three adult cabarets, New York Dolls, Satin Dolls and Lace Gentlemen's Club — filed for an injunction over the city’s ability to enforce a 2001 rezoning law that has been held up by litigation.

The adult establishments contend that should the 2001 rezoning law be allowed to go forward, the restrictions on where strip clubs, adult book stores and other adult-themed businesses will be so onerous that the only foreseeable outcome will be their closing, extinguishing a constitutionally protected form of expression in the five boroughs of New York.

The zoning regulation prohibits one adult establishment from opening within 500 feet of a school, a church or another adult establishment, the suit said, making it almost impossible to open a new business in Manhattan.

Industry attorney Erica Dubno, who represents one group of clients in the adult establishments’ consolidated case, told XBIZ that the proliferation of adult establishments has taken a big dip in the Big Apple in the past 25 years. In 1993 there were 177 adult establishments in the city, currently, there are 20.

“The city has agreed on a stay on enforcing the [2001] rules,” Dubno said. “Lawyers for the city presumably recognize the constitutional importance here.”

Mayor Bill DeBlasio, the current New York City leader who claims to be progressive, will offer testimony in the case. His administration has made it publicly known that it will continue to support the Mayor Rudy Giuliani-era law, which ultimately threatens sexual civil liberties.

The state Court of Appeals upheld the 2001 regs last year, resulting in the adult companies reactivating their suits at the federal level.

U.S. District Judge William Pauley III will be hearing the case at Manhattan federal court. Motions in the case begins in early October.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Orion Debuts 2 New Styles From Cottelli Lingerie

Orion Wholesale has introduced two new styles from its Cottelli Lingerie line.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Magic Silk Expands 'Exposed' Line With 'Sinful' Collection

Magic Silk has expanded its Exposed line of lingerie with the Sinful collection.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Show More