China Targets Internet Cafes

BEIJING -- Chinese leaders have launched a new nationwide campaign to further regulate control over Internet cafes in an attempt to ban exposure to pornography for children.

By suspending the issuance of new licenses and ordering local officials to crack down on unregistered or loosely managed operations, government leaders are reacting to concerns over unfettered and anonymous access to the Web.

“The focus [of the campaign] is on putting an end to the transmission of harmful information -- mainly that which is pornographic or obscene -- and preventing harm to young people’s physical and mental health,” an administration official told China News Service.

In a formal notice this week from China’s Administration for Industry and Commerce, government leaders said that using the Internet in many cases spreads “harmful cultural information and seriously hurts the mental and physical health of young people.”

The officials also worry that students spend too much time at Internet cafes playing video games.

“In some places regulation is lax, enforcement weak, and the illegal entry of minors to Internet cafes and other service areas has been often forbidden, but never stopped,” the Administration for Industry and Commerce report said.

Beijing started barring minors from Internet cafes two years ago, forbidding their operation within 600 feet of schools or in residential compounds, and requiring users to prove their identity and sign a register. The regulations also banned the distribution, downloading, or reading of government secrets, harmful libel or content that is “harmful to national unity.”

But the regulations have been widely ignored after the inspection of 45,000 Internet cafes during a few months in 2002.

Up to 15 percent of children in large cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou use Internet cafes, according to a study last year. The same study said that only 30 percent of the population has access to a computer at home.

The government, which also threatened to punish efforts to “clandestinely set up an online service” by disguising it as a computer school, said the proposed “clean up” campaign will last until August.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More