AHF Must Face Overbilling Claims, Judge Rules

LOS ANGELES — The AIDS Healthcare Foundation must face claims by Los Angeles County officials that it overbilled the county $5.2 million for patient treatment, a judge ruled this week.

The AHF, according to Law360, is on the defensive in a suit it initially filed against the county in August 2013 that alleged county officials conspired to intimidate healthcare providers that disagree with them by filing incorrect audit reports.

Claiming retaliation, the AHF at the time also had accused Los Angeles County; Dr. Jonathan Fielding, the director of the county's Department of Public Health; and county supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky of targeting it because it publicly disagreed with them on policy issues — in particular, Measure B, the condom ordinance for porn shoots.

In court papers, the AHF claimed that AHF President Michael Weinstein's public activism for getting Measure B, as well as the Los Angeles City condom ordinance, generated "considerable opposition and animus" amongst Los Angeles County officials toward the nonprofit because they did not want to enforce Measure B.

In a ruling this week, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Paul Linfield rejected an argument by AHF attorney Arti Bhimani that the county would have to show the federal government was forcing it to cover the alleged overpayments with its own money to bring a viable contract claim.

Linfield tentatively ruled that Los Angeles County was contractually obligated to monitor how the money was spent in the federal government’s stead, according to Law360.

 “The federal government is not going to come in and audit all of this,” Linfield said in Monday’s hearing. “That’s not the way the world works.”

County officials won their bid to dismiss the foundation’s retaliation claims last year, but the court kept alive the AHF’s claim it’s not required to provide accounting of costs between those that can be reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance, Law 360 said.

The county has demanded repayment of the $5.2 million in funds, but AHF officials have refused.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pure Taboo Debuts 'Behind the Scenes Documentary' for Latest 'Under the Bed'

Pure Taboo has released a behind-the-scenes documentary on its series “Under the Bed,” spotlighting the episode “The Growth.”

Connie Perignon Toplines David Perry's 'Sexual Desires 2'

Connie Perignon headlines director David Perry's “Sexual Desires 2” from Evil Angel.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Rae Sixty Nine Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Rae Sixty Nine has made her TransAngels debut opposite Adam x Lee in the studio’s latest release, titled “Cock Ride.”

Ariel Demure Toplines 'TS MILFs' From TransSensual

Reigning XMAs Trans Performer of the Year Ariel Demure headlines “TS MILFs,” the latest title from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Lana Wolf Returns to Immoral Productions

British star Lana Wolf stars in a new two-part scene from Immoral Productions alongside Dean Van Damme and studio honcho “Porno” Dan Leal.

Lulu Chu, Connie Perignon Star in 'Locked, Cocked & Loaded' From Brazzers

Lulu Chu and Connie Perignon star with Victor Ray in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Locked, Cocked & Loaded."

Adriana Chechik Returns to Evil Angel With Blowbang From Jonni Darkko

Adriana Chechik has returned to Evil Angel with a blowbang from director Jonni Darkko.

Show More