Twitter Amends Sexual Health Ad Policy

LOS ANGELES — Twitter, which has habitually blocked ad campaigns concerning condoms and sexual health campaigns, has tweaked the rules in favor of the companies it had been shutting out.

Condom retailer Lucky Bloke announced that it had its advertising ban lifted on Monday after nine months of complaints and a spirited public campaign, #Tweet4Condoms, directed at changing the policy.

Lucky Bloke CEO Melissa Hill says that Twitter has modified their ad policies and removed condoms and contraceptives from the "adult products" category, reclassifying them as "health products."

“For the many of you who championed our #Tweet4Condoms campaign, I want to thank you sincerely for lending your voice and support,” Hill said after learning of the change. “It is exciting to see that, united, we can make a positive difference even when standing up to a tech giant.”

A Twitter spokesperson confirmed the news, telling RH Reality Check that “Ads for non-prescription contraceptive products such as condoms and spermicides, and ads for personal lubricants, now fall under our health and pharmaceutical products and services policy.”

The spokesperson said that the change to the company’s ad policy for adult or sexual products and services was launched in mid-January.

According to RH Reality Check, the new policy also clarifies some confusing language that seemed to ban ads for “contraceptives” while still allowing some ads for condoms.

The policy now lists birth control pills and emergency contraception as “restricted,” or subject to review by Twitter, as it does with all other pharmaceutical products.

Despite the progressive stride, the policy still prohibits “sexual content” in ads or linked material for sexual health awareness or condoms. Companies find this is one of the most difficult caveats to maneuver.         

White is encouraged by Twitter’s willingness to evolve, and believes that this initial step could be a harbinger of additional, much-needed change — to amend antiquated thoughts on sexuality — across all social media channels. 

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Le Wand Introduces 'Classique' Vibe Collection

Le Wand has debuted its new Classique vibrator line.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Orion Debuts 'Vibrating Prostate Plug With Moving Rings' From 'Anos' Line

Orion Wholesale has introduced the Vibrating Prostate Plug with Moving Rings from its Anos line.

Fleshlight, Vixen Launch New Product Line

Fleshlight and Vixen Media Group (VMG) have partnered to launch the new Vixen x Fleshlight line.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Orion Debuts 'Masturbator 10' Stroker

Orion Wholesale has introduced the Masturbator 10 stroker from its What You Never Expected (WYNE) line.

Svakom Debuts 'DuoGlow' 5-in-1 Vibe

Svakom has introduced its new DuoGlow five-function vibrator.

Eversense Toys Launches 'Crowdfundr' Campaign

Pleasure brand Eversense Toys has launched a Crowdfundr campaign.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

Show More