Google Glass Is Killed Off to Make Way for New Product

LOS ANGELES — Google Glass, as we know it, is dead.

Google this week said it was ceasing production and halting individual sales of its wearable computer that houses an optical head-mounted display. Sales end Monday.

The company said its Glass team would move out of the “Google X” incubator labs and become a separate division under current manager Ivy Ross, according to a statement from the company.

Two years ago, the adult entertainment industry was full of optimism over Glass as another vehicle to deliver and record sexually explicit content.

Even Los Angeles Times columnist Patt Morrison said that the one-two punch of Glass, which costs $1,500, and porn was "unstoppable."

One adult company, MiKandi, which runs an adult Google app store, made it a mission to develop ways to exploit the device despite the fact that developer policies excluded sexually explicit material.

XBIZ also jumped on the bandwagon, producing the first-ever Glass porn production, in association with MiKandi, starring porn stars James Deen and Andy San Dimas who uncovered some powerful hidden capabilities of Google Glass in the video.

But Google's experiment had a few bugs it could not overcome.

Some public places, such as bars and restaurants, banned people from wearing Glass on their premises, and early adopters complained that the technology was not developing in the ways that had been promised.

And now it has been discontinued. But Google could resurrect it with a more polished and affordable approach. The company has given no specific date for when the next version of Glass might be available.

"Google really put wearables on the map with Google Glass, and propelled the wearables industry forward by daring to be bold," MiKandi's Jen McEwen told XBIZ."I don't think they get nearly enough credit as they should. With Google Glass, they aimed for the stars, but landed on the moon. 

"We're excited to see what the next version will be. It's an exciting time for wearables, virtual reality and augmented reality — especially considering Google's recent $500 million investment in Magic Leap. What's coming next will blow our minds. We can't wait to put porn on it."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Show More