North Carolina Lawmakers to Toughen Child Porn Penalties

RALEIGH, N.C. — A special legislative panel has begun to draft legislation that will greatly increase penalties against those guilty of possessing or selling child pornography in the state.

Current North Carolina laws only call for four to six months’ probation for a person convicted of possessing child pornography, while states like Georgia issue sentences of up to 20 years in prison and a $100,000 fine.

“With such a weak sentence, they realize there’s no debt to pay,” Rep. Bruce Goforth told XBIZ. “I am very upset with that, because we’ve got 65,000 people on the Internet right now [downloading child porn], and we can’t catch them or do anything when we do catch them. Only 45 were convicted last year.”

The legislation faces some red tape, but lawmakers are eager to put it into effect quickly, according to Goforth.

“We’ll be introducing it probably the first week in February,” Goforth said. “It will have to go through several committees and the House and Senate, but I hope we get it out this year. I hope it gets out by July 1.”

All penalties in North Carolina law are listed by alphabet letter in ascending order of harshness, going from A to I.

“I would like to go to the D,” Goforth said. “That would require a minimum of five years [in prison] on first offense.”

Goforth introduced a bill earlier in 2006 which goes into effect Dec. 1, prohibiting persons convicted of downloading child pornography from living within 1,000 feet of schools, playgrounds and other child gathering sites.

Part of what is driving the new legislation, Goforth said, is a case in his Black Mountain area of the state in which a sex offender arranged to rendezvous with an underage girl he’d met online.

“We’re looking at a huge percentage of predatory offenders who are downloading and uploading these images,” Grier Weeks, executive director of the National Association to Protect Children, told lawmakers.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More