Will the FCC Read All Net Neutrality Comments?

WASHINGTON — The FCC, currently taking comments on a net neutrality proposal, has about 50,000 of them from the public so far.

The comments are intended to influence the FCC's chair and board, which voted three weeks ago to advance new rules that would ban ISPs from blocking or throttling websites but allow them to make deals with content providers for preferential treatment.

The proposals are now open to public comment for 39 more days, followed by another 60 days for replies. The FCC has invited input from all parties on a host of issues, including whether broadband should be reclassified as a public utility, allowing for far-greater regulation.

But with thousands upon thousands of comments already logged, and many more coming through, how in the world will all of them get read and digested?

“All comments are reviewed and read by a team of people who specialize in the area of policy to make sure all viewpoints are accounted for,” FCC spokeswoman Kim Hart told the Wall Street Journal.

Hart said that the FCC's Wireline Competition Bureau, which works to ensure that all Americans have access to robust, affordable broadband and voice services, has been designated to read all of the comments that have been sent via email and the FCC’s website.

A team of about a dozen in the bureau is designated to review comments, she said. Some will be forwarded on to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler and commissioners to read directly.

Comments that get flagged and forwarded, she noted, will be ones that offer a particular interesting legal argument or a comment by a company that is directly affected.

The FCC has never received this many comments. The closest number to the net neutrality issue was the Janet Jackson “wardrobe malfunction” at the 2004 Super Bowl.

Public comment on the new FCC net neutrality proposal can be made here.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Show More