E.U. Court: Search Engines Must Remove Links on Request

BRUSSELS — In directive that likely will have wide ramifications, European Union's highest court ruled Tuesday that individuals can ask search engines to remove links to news articles, court cases, legal judgments and other documents in search results for their name.

Tuesday's ruling by the European Court of Justice only affects search results, and not the original article or website. The court's decision is final and cannot be appealed.

Search operators won't have to comply with every request to stop linking to certain pieces of information, according to the Luxembourg-based court. But if they don't comply, individuals can ask their national data-protection authorities to order the links to that information to be deleted.

The court reasoned in the case that because search results linked to a person's name have such a huge impact on people's lives, they should have the right to get certain material removed and "be forgotten." But the court left open possible alternative interpretations in setting broad parameters of what would be an allowable request.  

"This balance may, however, depend, in specific cases, on the nature of the information in question and its sensitivity for the data subject's private life," the court said in a case that was in response to a request for guidance on E.U. privacy laws from a court in Spain.

The court in Spain asked the European Court of Justice to settle a conflict that pitted Google versus Spain's data-protection regulator, which had to assess 180 cases brought by individuals upset with search results relating to their names for various reasons.

The decision contradicts the position of the European Union's advocate general, who offered an opinion last year. The opinion said search operators were under no obligation to honor take-down link requests.

A Google spokesman told Wired today that “this is a disappointing ruling for search engines and online publishers in general."

"We are very surprised that it differs so dramatically from the advocate general’s opinion and the warning and consequences that he spelled out," the spokesman said. "We now need to take time to analyze the implications.”

On leave from her role as European Court of Justice commissioner, Judge Viviane Reding said on her Facebook page that today's judgement is "a clear victory for the protection of personal data of Europeans."

"Companies can no longer hide behind their servers being based in California or anywhere else in the world," she said. "No matter where the physical server of a company processing data is located, non-European companies, when offering services to European consumers, must apply European rules.

"The data belongs to the individual, not to the company. And unless there is a good reason to retain this data, an individual should be empowered — by law — to request erasure of this data."

View E.U. directive

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More