Francis Enters Guilty Plea

LOS ANGELES — Joe Francis, the man behind the “Girls Gone Wild” empire, entered his official guilty plea in U.S. District Court Monday, telling the judge that he had violated federal record-keeping laws under 18 U.S.C. § 2257.

Francis, who owns Santa Monica, Calif.-based Mantra Films as well as sister company MRA Holdings, entered his plea before U.S. District Court Judge Margaret Morrow as part of a plea bargain announced by the Justice Department earlier this month.

Under the terms of the plea bargain, which covers multiple jurisdictions, Mantra Films entered a guilty plea in a Panama City, Fla. to 10 felony counts stemming from the same federal-record keeping violations and agreed to pay $1.6 million in fines. MRA Holdings entered a deferred prosecution agreement at the same time and agreed to employ an independent monitor selected by the government to insure that Francis and his operations keep with their promise to comply with 2257 going forward.

Francis entered his personal guilty plea in Los Angeles federal court, and under the terms of the deal, he will pay $500,000 in fines out of his own pocket.

Francis’ lawyer, Aaron Dyer, stood by him on the courthouse steps after the 30-minute proceeding, emphasized to reporters that the charges were for record-keeping violations, not the sexual exploitation of minors, adding that the girls who had appeared in the “Girls Gone Wild” films had lied to the company about their ages.

“No 17-year-old will ever be allowed to lie to Mantra films to appear on camera again," he said.

During the proceeding, Morrow explained to Francis that the maximum penalty she could have imposed for the record-keeping violations was 10 years in prison. According to LA Times reporter Claire Hoffman, who covered the case for the paper, Francis appeared not to understand the possibility of incarceration.

“Dyer, stepped forward, explaining to him that it was not the sentence he would be receiving because of the agreement, but the maximum sentence allowed for the felonies,” Hoffman said, adding that later on, outside the courthouse, Francis smiled and told the crowd that it was “all over, and no one went to jail.”

A formal sentence will be imposed Dec. 18, when Francis is next scheduled to appear in Morrow’s court.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Pornhub Unblocks UK Users on iOS Devices, Citing Apple AV Effectiveness

Pornhub parent company Aylo on Tuesday announced that users in the United Kingdom will once again be able to access the popular site if they are using Apple devices and have confirmed their age through Apple’s U.K. age-verification process.

North Carolina Weighing Tax on Brick-and-Mortar Sales of Adult DVDs, Mags

The North Carolina state legislature is considering a bill that would impose a new 10% tax on adult DVDs, magazines and other visual material sold by physical retailers in the state.

Utah VPN Rule for Adult Sites Takes Effect This Week

A new law in Utah comes into force Wednesday, making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification.

UPDATED: Court Approves Class Action in Labor Claims Against VMG

A U.S. district court has granted class certification in a civil lawsuit filed against Vixen Media Group (VMG) by retired performer Kenzie Anne, making it possible for additional performers to join in a class action against the company.

Brazil Invites Public Input on Guidelines for New Digital Law

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) is soliciting public comments to help improve interpretation and application of the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Show More