London Police Seeks to Shut Down Torrent Sites

LONDON — A number of major torrent sites have found their domain names suspended by their registrars following formal requests from City of London Police.

Without citing a court order or a specific legal mandate, London Police this week have sent letters to registrars of dozens of domain names in efforts to help stomp out piracy through peer-to-peer networks.

Some of the domains that so far have been suspended include SumoTorrent.com, MisterTorrent.me, ExtraTorrent.com, Emp3World.com, Full-Albums.net and MaxAlbums.com, according to TorrentFreak.

London Police warn in the letters that the sites in question are allegedly infringing on copyrights.

“The owners of the aforementioned domains are suspected to be involved in the criminal distribution of copyrighted material either directly or indirectly and are liable to prosecution under U.K. law for the following offences: Conspiracy to Defraud, Offences under the Fraud Act 2006, Copyright, Design & Patents Act 1988,” the letter said.

“Should a conviction be brought for the above offenses, U.K. courts may impose sentences of imprisonment and/or fines. [The London Police's Intellectual Property Crime Unit] has criminal and civil powers in U.K. law to seize money, belongings and any property in connection with these offenses.”

Earlier this year, London Police started began working with copyright holders on a campaign to shut down the peer-to-peer network sites. But warnings mostly went unheeded.

Now, instead of targeting files-sharing site owners, London Police are contacting their domain registrars.  

Some of the affected sites that have been suspended have moved on to other top-level domain extensions. For instance, MisterTorrent.me is now MisterTorrent.cc and SumoTorrent.com is now SumoTorrent.sx.

London Police's letter recommends that registrars act expeditiously. It also asks registrars to send traffic of the torrent sites to a landing page with the City of London Police logo, as well as the logos of anti-piracy partners.

“Suspension of the domain(s) is intended to prevent further crime," the letter said. "Where possible we request that domain suspension(s) are made within 48 hours of receipt of this alert. In respect of the information provided by us, we respectfully ask you to consider your liability and the wider public interest should those services be allowed to continue."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More