Australia's Coalition Backs Off Porn Filtering

EAST SYDNEY, Australia — Australia’s Liberal National Coalition has backed off on a porn filtering plan it proposed last week.

A policy document issued at the eleventh hour of the country’s election campaigns outlined a default opt-out plan that would have ISPs apply filters to all home Internet connections and mobile access for people under 18 across all of Australia.

At the time, the Coalition referenced the U.K’s proposed filtering plan as a possible blueprint but didn’t specifically define what it deemed to be adult content.

“The Coalition believes that keeping children safe online is ultimately the responsibility of parents and others charged with the welfare of children – but they need better support from government and industry,” the policy statement said.

According to The Guardian, the Coalition planned to work with major ISPs including Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and their resellers to develop the filters.

But Malcolm Turnbull, the Shadow Communications Minister, did an about-face almost immediately after the policy was announced. He tweeted: “Policy released today wrongly indicated we supported an opt out system of Internet filtering. That is not our policy and never has been.”

He maintained that the Coalition never supported mandatory Internet filtering and in fact “have a long record of opposing it.”

He added: “The policy which was issued today was poorly worded and incorrectly indicated that the Coalition supported an 'opt out’ system of Internet filtering for both mobile and fixed line services. That is not our policy and never has been.”

Turnbull instead said that the Coalition’s stance is to put the onus on parents to take the responsibility for what their children access on the Internet and for ISPs to provide software that they can install themselves.

However, a follow-up report by ZDNet revealed that despite statements from Liberal MP and the policy’s author, Paul Fletcher, that the original intention was to take out the confusion for parents who are unsure of who or where to get filtering products, audio from a ZDNet interview proves that the Coalition’s original intention was to push an opt-out plan.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More