China's Porn War Targets 180,000 Online Publications

BEIJING — The latest salvo launched in China’s war on porn has hit more than 180,000 online porn publications.

Although it's unclear how the government defines "porn publications," authorities reportedly shut down more than 10,000 websites that included these publications. The crackdown was part of a countrywide Internet clean-up campaign that began in March that identified more than 5.6 million illegal publications.

Officials at the National Office Against Pornographic and Illegal Publications said the publications were involved in the dissemination of pornographic content and were punished for law and regulation violations.

Earlier this year, 225 websites and more than 30,000 blogs and Twitter-like microblogs were shut down that according to the Communist government offered “obscene or improper content."

And last September, about 97,000 blogs and microblog accounts in a seven-month long campaign were closed and accused of circulating “lewd” content.

Although the continuing war on porn was set to end this month, officials said it has been extended into late June.

The next step will involve closer investigations into cracking key cases of violations and more government management of websites.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Better Life Science Launches 'Affiliate and Influencer' Initiative

CLIA-certified laboratory network Better Life Science has launched its affiliate and influencer program.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More