U.S. Judge Won't Dismiss 2257 Suit, Sides With FSC

PHILADELPHIA — A federal judge has denied the Justice Department’s motion to dismiss 4th Amendment complaints in Free Speech Coalition vs. Eric Holder, which involves federal record-keeping law 18 U.S.C. § 2257.

At a pretrial hearing held at the James A. Byrne Federal Courthouse in Philadelphia, U.S. District Judge Michael M. Baylson listened to arguments from attorney J. Michael Murray, representing the Free Speech Coalition and other plaintiffs in the lawsuit, and attorney Kathryn Wyer, who represents the Justice Department under President Barack Obama’s attorney general, Eric Holder).

Wyer argued that the plaintiffs’ 4th Amendment complaints were “defective,” noting that 2257 searches aren’t being aggressively conducted presently.

But Murray countered that 2257 laws remain in effect regardless of the amount of government searches — or lack thereof — presently taking place.

Baylson essentially agreed with Murray’s arguments, requesting a phone consultation with Murray and Wyer on Dec. 13 and possibly another one on Dec. 20 if needed. 

Baylson, calling for “limited discovery,” told Murray and Wyer that if the case does go to trial, he is hoping the trial will begin in mid-June.

Under 2257 regulations (part of the Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act of 1988), producers of sexually explicit material are required to obtain proof that any models they use are legal adults and maintain careful records of that proof.

Adult entertainment companies are subject to 2257-related inspections by law enforcement—and violations of 2257 can result in criminal prosecution.

Although the Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act was enacted in November 1988 when President Ronald Reagan was still in office, 2257 inspections of adult companies became especially aggressive under the George W. Bush Administration.

But taking forceful action against the adult entertainment industry has not been a high priority for the Obama Administration.

Special Agent Alan S. Nanavaty, who heads the FBI's Crimes Against Children Unit, has sworn that the Justice Department’s 2257 inspection program was terminated on Oct. 24, 2007.

Nanavaty has said that since then, the FBI has received no funding for new 2257 inspections.

But at today's pretrial hearing in Philadelphia, Murray, counsel with the Cleveland-based firm of Berkman, Gordon, Murray & Devan, asserted that the lack of 2257 inspections under Holder does not invalidate the 1st Amendment or 4th Amendment concerns that the FSC has about 2257.

“The statute hasn’t changed,” Murray told the court. “The statute still requires that records must be kept.”

Murray stressed that regardless of Holder’s position on 2257, a future attorney general might favor a return to aggressive257 inspections — and for that reason, the FSC’s lawsuit against the Justice Department needs to go forward.

In Free Speech Coalition vs. Eric Holder (which was filed in 2009 after Obama took office), the FSC has asserted said 2257 searches violate the 4th Amendment’s protection against unreasonable search and seizures.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Show More