Egypt Pushing New Ban on Porn Websites

CAIRO — Pressured by ultraconservative Muslims known as Salafis, Egypt’s Prosecutor General has ordered the government to ban porn websites.

Although the country’s administrative courts issued a ban last March under former President Hosni Mubarak's rule, calling porn “venomous and vile,” thousands of porn sites continued to thrive because of the high technical costs to shut them down. According to Ahram Online, the cost of an all-out ban would be close to $16.5 million.

At that time Younis Makhioun, a prime minister of Egypt’s ultra-conservative al-Nour Salafist religious People’s Assembly Transportation and Telecommunications Committee, called for an all out ban on porn.

He said that porn sites have destroyed morality, corrupted the youth and spread obscenity, family troubles, rape and divorce and that a ban would stop Egypt’s youth from becoming “busy with lust.”

Digital rights researcher Ramy Raoof told the Associated Press that under Mubarek Islamist lawyers tried to block porn sites. "The government is not supposed to monitor or be watchdogs over people. It should provide services, regardless of how citizens use that service," he said.

But now, the “Pure Net” campaign launched by the Salfis is being pushed by chief prosecutor Abdel Maguid Mahmoud who said porn on the Internet is "inconsistent with the values and traditions of the Egyptian people and the higher interests of the state."

Mahmoud is reportedly under pressure from the new Egyptian government after botching the prosecution of top Mubarak-era officials charged with orchestrating violence during the uprising that deposed the leader.

The latest crackdown has once again raised the issue of free speech in the volatile country since last year’s revolution that’s seen Islamist groups dominating local elections and pushing their agendas on morality.

And some Egyptians fear this could be the first step in censoring other online sites.

Mona Eltahawy, an Egyptian-American activist tweeted, "I'm not arguing w anyone about porn but know this: "ban" porn sites today, ban your sites tomorrow. #Egypt".

Raoof said nothing has changed regarding Internet freedom since the revolution and doesn’t believe it has anything to do with Islamists. “It is a continuous effort that has been happening from before. The former regime saw itself as a monitor over society on how it should act, think, write, and speak," he said. "The philosophy has not changed."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More