Google Weds Instant Messaging, Email Services

SAN FRANCISCO — Online search engine leader Google has plans to join its instant messaging and email services in the same web browser, in an attempt to lure users from larger communications networks operated by its chief rivals.

The new chat feature, unveiled today, will provide users of Google's Gmail service with a list of contacts drawn from past email exchanges and then signal who is available for online conversations.

"We didn't think it made sense for there to be this artificial separation that currently exists between emailing and chatting," Google Product Manager Salar Kamangar said. "People don't want to have to have two separate contact lists for email and instant messaging."

Additionally, Google said it hopes to add a feature allowing users to initiate an electronic conversation within the same web browser showing an email box, bypassing the need to switch to a separate instant messaging application.

The new chat feature will begin to show up in some Gmail accounts today and should reach all users within the next few weeks, Kamangar added.

The new chat feature only will work if both users have Gmail accounts or already belong to a service compatible with Google's instant messaging service. Besides Google's own services, the network also includes EarthLink, Jabber.org, Sipphone's Gizmo Project, Chikka in the Philippines, Singapore's MediaRing, Italy's Tiscali and China's Netease.

Google is hoping to gain ground on current market leaders Yahoo, Microsoft and Time Warner's America Online with the addition of the new feature.

Gmail was introduced in April 2004, while Google’s instant messaging service was implemented last August. Google said it expanded into the field so it would have more chances to display the online ads that account for most of its profits, which totaled $1.5 billion on sales of $6.1 billion last year.

Yahoo runs the most frequently used email service followed by AOL and Microsoft's MSN and Hotmail, according to Nielsen/NetRatings Inc. Yahoo's email service hosted nearly 51 million unique visitors in December, followed by AOL at 34 million visitors and Microsoft's services at 31 million.

However, AOL packed in nearly 53 million users in December with its instant messenger, also known as AIM, with MSN and Yahoo trailing at 27 million and 22 million, respectively. Google's instant messaging service ranked as the sixth most used with 866,000 users.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Show More