S. Korea Search Engines File Google Complaint

SEOUL — Android-based smartphones use Google as their default search engine and, according to two search giants in South Korea, the preloading of Android had made it “virtually impossible to switch to another option” for Internet searching.

The No. 1 and 2 search engines here — Naver and Daum — have asked South Korea’s trade commission to probe whether Google has improperly maneuvered to have Android preinstalled on most smartphones being sold in the country, where two-thirds of are Android-based.

Naver and Daum control more than 70 percent of the mobile search market in South Korea, where there are 10 million registered smartphones.

Google, however, hasn't captured the search market like it has in other countries. In fact it only has a 1 to 2 percent share in the fixed-line search market here

Naver, owned by NHN Corp., says in its complaint that Google, “through a marketing partnership with major smartphone producers,” had unfairly created “a new ecosystem” by offering the Android system free to corner the market.

But Google, according to the Wall Street Journal, has denied the accusations, saying in a statement that “carrier partners are free to decide which applications and services to include on their Android phones.”

It is technically possible to switch search applications on Android phones but that switch is not easy. Naver and Daum said their applications could not be purchased as a preloaded option.

Microsoft filed a similar antitrust complaint last month with European regulators, saying Google was engaging in anticompetitive practices on the web and in smartphone software in relation to videos on Google-owned YouTube.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Show More