Rustock Takedown Has Reduced Spam by 1/3, Study Says

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — A new intelligence report by Symantec says that the volume of spam across the world has been cut by one third after the Rustock botnet takedown.

Last year, the botnet was responsible for sending out 44 billion spam messages per day or more than 47 percent of the world’s total output. Symantec reported that prior to its takedown, Rustock sent out 13 billion daily spam emails.

Raids by federal officials and legal action by Microsoft managed to cut off the network a couple of weeks ago, dropping the overall global spam messages to around 33 billion per day, compared with 52 billion the prior week, according to CNET.com.

But Symantec said it can’t be certain whether Rustock will be able to come back.

"It remains to be seen whether the criminals behind Rustock will be able to recover from this coordinated effort against what has become one of the most technically sophisticated botnets in recent years," said Paul Wood, a senior analyst at MessageLabs.

"Rustock has been a significant part of the botnet and malware landscape since January 2006, much longer than many of its contemporaries."

The report pointed out that even if one botnet goes down, another one usually surfaces such as Bagle, which has now become the most active spambot this year so far. Bagle has been sending out more than eight billion junk emails per day since the end of last year.

 Other botnets such as Festi and Cutwail also account for a significant amount of overall spam. More than 83 percent of all global spam was triggered by botnets in March, a gain of six percent since the end of last year.

"Botnets have been and remain a destructive resource for cybercriminals and through the years have become the spammers' air supply, without which it would be very difficult for them to operate," Wood said.

"Botnets are also used for other purposes such as launching distributed denial-of-service attacks, hosting illegal website content on infected computers [known as bots], harvesting personal data from them and installing spyware to track the activities of their users."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More