Flava Works Puts Heat on Sizzle Miami Over Advertising

MIAMI — One of the most popular urban gay events in the U.S. has been hit with claims that it used Flava Works' images to promote its annual show last year.

Flava Works, in a suit filed last week, says Sizzle Miami used "multiple" images of its models for its website and email blasts, as well as a print publication, to promote its Memorial Day weekend affair that attracts thousands for a five days in Miami. Sizzle Miami's dominant demographic is men of color, followed by those who like them.

Flava Works, headquartered in Miami with a satellite office in Chicago, produces gay websites featuring black and Latino men. It operates Cocodorm.com, PapiCock.com, ThugBoy.com, CocoBoyz.com and FlavaMen.com. Its Thugsforsex.com website is an online dating portal for black and Latin men, while FlavaMen is a quarterly print production.

The suit, filed at U.S. District Court in Miami, says that Sizzle Miami used copyrighted photos that include well-known gay performers Baby Star, DeAngelo Jackson, Matrix and Xavier Vega.

Flava Works said in the complaint that Sizzle Miami used its trademarks in order to increase its profits.

"[Sizzle Miami] without authorizations used [Flava Works] copyrighted images in the promotion of its events," the suit said. "[S]izzle’s business model depends in part on the notability of those whom attend its events.

Flava Works CEO Phillip Bleicher told XBIZ that Sizzle Miami has a "history of violating others' copyrights and saying sorry later."

He noted that Sizzle Miami continues to advertise Flava Works-branded images on its site that advertises its Memorial Day 2011 event.

"[Sizzle] had no right to use our intellectual property to promote their products and services," he said. "By doing so it diluted our valuable trademarks and is causing confusion among consumers that believe Flava Works endorses his products.

"We filed this lawsuit as part of the overall process to vigorously defend and protect our copyrights and trademarks."

Sizzle Miami co-owner Dwight Powell, who is named to the suit along with co-owner Luis Medrano, told XBIZ he couldn't immediately respond to the suit.

"We don't have a statement because we just got word of the complaint this past Saturday," he said. "The matter has been referred to our attorney."

The copyright suit seeks an injunction against using the photos for future use, as well as damages and attorneys fees.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More