Google Search Change Drops Rankings of 'Low-Quality' Websites

CYBERSPACE – Google has announced a change to its search algorithm that reduces rankings for “low-quality” websites impacting about 11.8 percent of its U.S. user queries.

Although the search giant hasn't officially acknowledged it, reports indicate that the move is primarily targeted at "content farm" sites.

Google engineers Amit Singhal and Matt Cutts defined low-quality sites in a blog as those that are a "low-value add for users, copy content from other websites or sites that are just not very useful."

The duo said, "We believe it's a big step in the right direction of helping people find ever higher quality in our results. We've been tackling these issues for more than a year, and working on this specific change for the past few months. And we're working on many more updates that we believe will substantially improve the quality of the pages in our results.

"At the same time, it will provide better rankings for high-quality sites — sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on.”

Google did not provide many details about the algorithmic search ranking change but reportedly said it did not rely on changes it received from its "Personal Blocklist" Chrome extension.

Chrome, released last week, allows users to eliminate Google search results from dubious domains. Google did say that it compared the Blocklist data it has gathered with the sites identified by the algorithm and found that user preferences are well represented in the new algorithm.

"If you take the top several dozen or so most-blocked domains from the chrome extension, then this algorithmic change addresses 84 percent of them, which is strong independent confirmation of the user benefits," Singhal and Cutts wrote.

Google acknowledged that site rankings will be affected by the change to its algorithm.

"It has to be that some sites will go up and some will go down. It is important for high-quality sites to be rewarded, and that's exactly what this change does," the Google pair said.

Google also promised to implement the changes elsewhere in the coming months.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More