Clover Holdings' Sex.com Acquisition Has Closed

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Domain broker Sedo on Wednesday officially closed on the sale of the Sex.com domain name after it searched three months to find a buyer.

"As of 5:26 p.m. EDT today, Nov. 17, the sale of Sex.com has been finalized through Sedo for $13 million," Sedo's Tiffany Cuddihy told XBIZ.

Cuddihy's announcement was just as dramatic as the life of the three-letter domain, which has been sold twice in the past four years — once to Escom for $14 million and the latest to Clover Holdings Ltd. for $13 million. The site even was hijacked from its original owner, Gary Kremen, at one point.

Clover Holdings, which had the winning bid last month, was chosen from among 12 bidders after making the "highest and best offer" and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Woodland Hills, Calif., has approved the acquisition.

Not much is known about Clover Holdings, and Cuddihy declined to elaborate on its operators.

The sale was brokered by one of Sedo’s senior domain brokers, Jeff Gabriel, who conducted a three-month search for a buyer on behalf of Escom, which filed bankruptcy earlier this year.

“It is very rare when a domain name of this quality and value becomes available, and we are delighted that Sedo was involved in this historic event,” Gabriel said in a release.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More