LA Libraries Get Half Million to Block Porn

LOS ANGELES — The Board of Supervisors is looking to clean up Los Angeles County libraries. But it’s not fixing holes in the roofs; not improving the plumbing; not hiring larger cleaning crews. Instead, the Board wants pornographic material completely blocked from library computers.

The Board unanimously passed a funding measure on Jan. 10 that will dole out $344,000 to libraries for the purchase of strict filtering technology, privacy screens around monitors and a complete redesign of where computers are stationed.

An additional $190,162 will go to the Department of Consumers Affairs for the purchase of new computer equipment.

The decision to allocate funding for filters follows an October measure that required libraries to begin using limited filters for sexually explicit content at all Los Angeles County library computers.

Spearheading the initiative since last year is Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich, who has made clear his zero tolerance for pornographic content on library computers.

In August, the Board asked County Librarian Margaret Donnellan Todd to study Internet pornography in the county’s libraries, after which Todd returned with a five-step process she said would prevent children from accessing adult sites in the libraries, including “child only” computer stations and privacy screens surrounding every monitor.

Todd’s recommendations, however, met with Antonovich’s disapproval when she said libraries under her jurisdiction would not entirely restrict access to adult sites on library computers.

“The library makes no attempt to determine which sites meet the legal test of obscenity,” Todd said in her report.

In her report, Todd noted that federal law places the responsibility on parents to decide whether children receive filtered access to the Internet while at the library. Adults, she said, are free to choose which sites they visit.

“Library policy requires [only] that law enforcement be called if an adult is viewing what appears to be child pornography,” she said.

The debate over pornographic content on library computers in the city began in July after a Canyon Country woman complained that her 4-year-old daughter witnessed a man access several adult websites in plain view of other library patrons. The computer in question did not have the privacy screens Todd recommended in her proposal.

“We appreciate the work she’s done,” Tony Bell, Antonovich’s spokesperson, said of Todd’s proposal. “[But] it does not behoove the taxpayer or library staff to go to such an extent to preserve the computers for porn users in a public place.”

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More