Reality Kings Wants Infringement Case Moved to Fla.

LOS ANGELES — Reality Kings, defending itself over multimillion-dollar copyright infringement claims by 26 recording company plaintiffs, says it had no part in filming the 193 videos at the heart of the suit.

With that contention, Miami Beach-based Reality Kings' parent RK Netmedia is trying to convince a judge to transfer the case from a federal court in Los Angeles to one in Miami.

Reality Kings is pursuing a venue transfer because it claims all of the third-party witnesses in the case — the owner and contractors of LLL Advertising — live in Florida.

The third-party witnesses, Reality Kings attorneys contend, would provide critical testimony because they organized and executed the shoots, or even spun music as deejays.

The record companies claim 286 songs were used in three Reality Kings websites: In the VIP, VIP Crew and Papi.

Reality Kings, in a motion for venue transfer, cites declarations by Mike Imber, LLL Advertising's owner and CEO, that porn shoots took place in Miami and Fort Lauderdale nightclubs and private residences and that "the videos captured music being played in the background."

Imber also said that the music was never dubbed in, enhanced or edited over live action.

"The deejays are therefore crucial witnesses who can testify about how they chose certain music (and how neither defendant nor LLL Advertising requested specific songs) and how the shoots occurred," Reality Kings attorneys said.

Reality Kings also is pushing for the change in venue because it filed suit against its insurer, which denied its coverage over the record companies' litigation against the adult company because of an "intentional act" exclusion of the policy.

Reality Kings counsel say that the facts of both cases are the same factual nucleus and that there would be duplicative arguments over the issue of willfulness and intentional.

Another contention for a venue change is that a move to South Florida would be judicially prudent because courts in Miami are less congestive and that jurors could be ordered to sit through and view the 193 films at dispute in the case.

A hearing over the venue transfer is slated for Dec. 6 in front of U.S. District Judge Consuelo Marshall.

Reality Kings attorney Bruce Van Dalsem did not immediately return XBIZ calls to comment.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Federal Appeals Court Vacates FTC 'Click to Cancel' Rule Pending Review

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit on Tuesday vacated the Federal Trade Commission’s “click-to-cancel” rule aimed at making it easier for consumers to cancel online subscriptions, pending further review.

NYC Adult Stores Lose Challenge to Zoning Law, May Face Relocation

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit on Tuesday upheld a lower court’s decision to allow enforcement of a 2001 zoning law aimed at forcing adult retail stores out of most parts of New York City.

FSC Drops Florida AV Lawsuit in Wake of SCOTUS Decision

A U.S. district court judge granted on Tuesday a motion by Free Speech Coalition to dismiss the trade association’s lawsuit over Florida’s age verification law, a case that had been on hold pending the Supreme Court’s recent ruling on the constitutionality of state AV laws.

Ukrainian President Responds to Porn Legalization Petition

President Volodymyr Zelensky responded Tuesday to an OnlyFans model’s petition to decriminalize pornography in Ukraine, stating that he would wait for the legislative process to play out “in accordance with established procedure.”

Only Tax Deductions Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Adult industry accounting firm Only Tax Deductions has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

Adult Empire Launches 'Conversations' Podcast Series

Adult Empire has launched a new official podcast series hosted by Nicole Chappelle and Charlie.

Sex Work CEO Launches 'Teams Plan' for AI Assistant

Sex Work CEO has introduced the new Teams Plan for its AI-powered, NSFW text generator, GPTease.

2025 XBIZ Amsterdam Website Launches With Call for Speakers

XBIZ is pleased to announce that the website for its annual European conference, XBIZ Amsterdam, is now live.

NC Governor Vetoes Bill Targeting Adult Industry, Override Possible

North Carolina Governor Josh Stein today vetoed a bill imposing new regulations that adult industry observers have warned could push adult websites and platforms to ban most adult creators and content.

25,000 Sign Petition to Legalize Pornography in Ukraine

An OnlyFans model’s petition to decriminalize pornography in Ukraine has amassed the 25,000 signatures required for official consideration by President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Show More