Australia Bans Gay Hardcore Movie 'LA Zombie' at Film Fest

MELBOURNE — Gay hardcore film "LA Zombie" won't be seen at the upcoming Melbourne International Film Festival because it was refused a classification exemption by the Australian Film Classification Board.

Censors concluded that implied sex with dead bodies by an alien zombie in Los Angeles, breached local community standards. But, later, the same board said it could be released in Australia as an adults-only DVD if it were submitted for classification.

The film stars a galaxy of blue-chip gay performers — Francois Sagat, Rocco Giovanni, Wolf Hudson, Eddie Diaz, Matthew Rush, Francesco D'Macho, Adam Killian — and was made for less than $100,000 in Los Angeles last year.

In the movie, Sagat is a homeless schizophrenic who thinks he's an alien zombie sent to Earth. While roaming the streets in search of corpsesad bodies he tries to bring the dead back to life by engaging in sex.

The movie's director, Bruce LaBruce, said that the board's decision "gives me a profile I didn't have yesterday.''

''My first thought was Eureka,'' he told the Age. ''I'll never understand how censors don't see that the more they try to suppress a film, the more people will want to see it. It gives me a profile I didn't have yesterday.''

Fiona Patten, Australian Sex Party’s President and Victorian Senate candidate, said the censors' decision to not classify the film is "an utter and complete embarrassment, but sadly not unexpected given our dysfunctional and prudish classification scheme here in Australia."

"Only in Third World countries and Australia do zombie films like this get effectively banned from film festivals," Patten told XBIZ.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Amsterdam 2025 Show Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Amsterdam 2025, set to take place Sept. 2-4.

Joey Dane Makes His Falcon Studios Debut

Joey Dane has made his Falcon Studios debut alongside Alfonso Osnaya and Sumner Blayne in the new feature “Come Get It.”

NakedSword, Disruptive Films Release Trailer for 'Wild Game' Thriller Collab

NakedSword and Disruptive Films have released a trailer for the action thriller "Wild Game," the first collaboration between the two studios.

Shawn Alff on Directing, Discipline, and the Art of Making It Weird

Shawn Alff considers himself one of the industry’s most unlikely porn stars. He’s done just about everything else in the porn industry, but never thought he’d be a performer.

Leo Levine Performs 1st Boy/Boy in Latest From Men.com

Leo Levine performs his first Boy/Boy scene with Oliver Marks in the new Men.com scene, “No Qualifications Required.”

Nico Bear Makes His Falcon/NakedSword Debut

Nico Bear has made his Falcon/NakedSword debut in the second installment of the studio’s first collaborative release with writer/co-producer Heath Halo, titled “Lay of the Land.”

Enzo Muller, Angel Santana Headline 'Shameless Encounters 2' From Icon Male

Enzo Muller and Angel Santana topline the second volume of "Shameless Encounters" from Mile High Media studio imprint Icon Male.

Dex Devall, Ace Banner & Marcus McNeil Star in Latest from Carnal Media

Dex Devall, Ace Banner, and Marcus McNeil star in the latest release from Carnal Media.

Brogan, Buck Richards & Blaze Austin Star in 'Hand It to You' From Fisting Central

Brogan, Buck Richards, and Blaze Austin star with Apollo Fates in the latest release from Falcon/NakedSword studio brand Fisting Central, “Hand It to You.”

Falcon/MenAtPlay Release Final Installment of 'To The Nines' Collab

Falcon Studios and MenAtPlay have released the final installment of their first collaborative release, “To the Nines.”

Show More