Showdown at Pure Pleasure

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky – Renting an adult entertainment video became an incriminating activity this week in a small but sophisticated city more popularly known as the home of the Kentucky Derby and legendary explorers Lewis and Clark.

An anti-pornography group headed by a former registered sex offender, John Reneer, stationed itself adjacent to the parking lot of the Pure Pleasure adult video store and is threatening to reveal the identities of an already skittish clientele.

Reneer and his group called War-Line have been taking still photographs all week of patrons as they come and go, including capturing their license plates on camera and then posting that information on a website.

Reneer has reportedly been an unflagging presence in the first and only act of protest the Pure Pleasure has experienced since its opening in January of this year.

Pure Pleasure Manager Michelle told XBiz that Reneer and his anti-porn posse maintain a routine of similar protests against adult entertainment businesses in the Louisville area. But because of an alliance with the Grizzly Boot Company across the street, Renner and his group have been permitted to camp out on the boot store's property.

Grizzly's owner, a woman named Beth, has been against the adult entertainment store since the get-go. According to Michelle, yesterday she blocked Pure Pleasure's driveway with her car and claimed it had broken down.

"We just have to play this like a game, piece by piece," Michelle told XBiz, clearly distressed by the weeklong onslaught of physical and verbal harassment.

"They've been yelling at our customers, threatening to put them on the Internet and saying things like 'God's going to get you,'" he told XBiz. But so far, Renner and his gang have only managed to scare off what Michelle refers to as "a few" patrons.

The Pure Pleasure was marred with controversy from the day it opened against an ordinance that restricts adult businesses in certain areas of the city. The store's owner, Don Kleinhans, who owns a chain of similar stores throughout the South, joined up with several other Louisville-based adult entertainment stores claiming that the ordinance was unconstitutional. The Pure Pleasure and other stores have remained open while the Kentucky court system deals with the issue.

In the meantime, the Kentucky State Police have done very little to stop the harassment, despite Reneer's criminal past, which includes felony charges for armed robbery in 1966, allegations of murder, and a 1988 sodomy charge accompanied by first degree charges of trafficking a controlled substance.

Renner has been quoted as saying that he admits to his past and blames pornography for leading him to a life of crime.

Renner was quoted by the Courier-Journal as saying that War-Line's protest is an effort to raise public awareness about the materials inside the store.

"Pornography creates callous attitudes toward women, promotes casual sex and violence against women," Renner was quoted as saying.

Last Thursday, Pure Pleasure filed harassment and trespassing charges against Renner and his group, although Michelle told XBiz that his company has to wait for the court to approve the charges, and that the complaint will probably get thrown into mediation because of its misdemeanor status.

As a last report, Pure Pleasure employees installed a sprinkler system so that if Renner or any members of War-Line approach the store, they can water them down. They also brought in a convoy of semi-trucks and formed a barricade in front of the store, blocking Renner's view of visiting customers.

"We're hoping it's going to calm down," said Michelle, "But so far it's been pretty bad."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

Show More