U.S. Seeks Answers in China Cyber Attacks

WASHINGTON — The U.S. will demand an explanation from China about how recent cyber attacks occurred against Google and more than 30 companies. It also wants to know what Beijing intends to do about it.

The Chinese government, meanwhile, downplayed the attacks on Friday and called on Google and other companies to respect its rules and regulations and said no matter what decision the search giant makes on its China operations, it is unlikely to affect overall U.S.-China trade relations.

Earlier this week Google threatened to withdraw from China, saying it had discovered massive hacking against itself and more than 30 companies that emanated from China.

One of the companies attacked was the Los Angeles law firm of Gipson Hoffman & Pancione, which is representing Cybersitter LLC in a $2.2 billion suit against the Chinese government and seven major Asian computer makers.

Santa Barbara, Calif.-based Cybersitter claims that two Chinese software developers and the Chinese government pirated parts of its Internet filtering software for the Green Dam Youth Escort program.

Cybersitter alleges thousands of lines of its code were copied for Green Dam, which specifically blocks porn.

Last year China mandated that Green Dam be installed on all computers in China, but it backed down and made use of the software optional after an outcry from international businesses and Chinese citizens.

An official from Gipson Hoffman said the coincidence of the attacks and the fact they represent Green Dam paint a clear picture.

The law firm said that on Monday evening its attorneys began receiving Trojan emails, disguised to appear as emails from other members of the firm, constructed to retrieve data from the company's computers.

Meanwhile, with Google ready to pull out of China, experts speculate that Google’s Chinese domain names are in jeopardy now the search engine has announced to end its support for censorship of searches.

China could now take several measures to block access to Google China to the just-reported 384 million Internet users in the country.

One of the simplest steps would be to confiscate the Google.cn domain name and other names owned by the search giant. But services such as gmail would go on in China because they are independent of the Google.cn search engine.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More