David Ogden, DOJ’s No. 2 in Command, Resigns After 10 Months

WASHINGTON — Deputy Attorney General David W. Ogden unexpectedly resigned Thursday morning to return to private law practice.

Justice Department officials had no comment why Ogden was leaving the agency’s No. 2 job after only 10 months on the job.

Ogden’s duties as the Justice Department’s chief operating officer involve resolving conflicts between U.S. attorneys over high-profile cases, including obscenity cases.

Ogden said Thursday that he had always planned to leave as soon as the department restored credibility to the Justice Department at a time when it was "under attack and when its traditional law enforcement missions had suffered" during the Bush administration.

Ogden said he helped put in place "a terrific senior management team that under the attorney general's leadership will build on this foundation."

The Justice Department "is in good hands, and I feel I can now return to the private practice I have missed these 13 months," he said.

Ogden is returning to the WilmerHale law firm, which he joined in 2001 after serving with Holder in senior positions in the Clinton administration Justice Department.

Ogden was confirmed earlier this year with a full senate panel voting 65-28 in favor of Ogden.

The nomination by President Obama to be Attorney General Eric Holder's second in command sparked an angry Senate debate over Ogden's legal career.

At Washington-based WilmerHale, Ogden’s clients included an array of industries, including the adult entertainment business.

Some of his former clients include Playboy Enterprises and PHE Inc., parent company of Adam & Eve.

During his Senate confirmation hearing, Ogden sought to reassure senators that he would prosecute child pornographers aggressively, and he urged the lawmakers not to judge him by arguments he made on behalf of his past clients.

"Child pornography is abhorrent," Ogden said, adding later, "Issues of children and families have always been of great importance to me.

Diane Duke, the Free Speech Coalition's executive director, told XBIZ that the organization hopes the new deputy attorney general just follows the law.

"FSC’s concern is that his replacement be someone who will uphold and respect the Constitution," she said.

Ogden said he would stay in office until Feb. 5. if Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder nominate a replacement by that time.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Madison Ivy Returns to Brazzers

Madison Ivy has returned to Brazzers alongside studio exclusive Girthmasterr in "The Boss is Back."

Ivy Ireland Toplines Jonni Darkko's 'Anal Size Queens 2'

Ivy Ireland headlines the second volume of director Jonni Darkko's "Anal Size Queens," from Evil Angel.

Juliana Marie, Thea Summers Lead Latest From TeamSkeet

Juliana Marie and Thea Summers star with Jayden Marcos in the latest release from TeamSkeet's "Reptyle Labs" series.

Tiffani Time Stars in Latest From Kink.com

Tiffani Time stars with Nicolas Ryder in the latest installment of Kink.com's "Divine Bitches" series, titled "Power Fucked."

Kazumi Partners With Rose in Good Faith to Release 'V-Mule' Vulva-Shaped Footwear

Multi-XMAs winner Kazumi has teamed up with fashion brand Rose in Good Faith to release V-Mule vulva-shaped footwear.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Cubbi Thompson Leads Latest From New Sensations

Cubbi Thompson stars with Codey Steele in the latest release from New Sensations.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

Show More