4Chan Founder Takes Responsibility for Attack That Prompted AT&T Blockade

NEW YORK — After an online uproar in response to AT&T blocking the rambunctious message board 4Chan.org, it turns out that it was all 4chan's fault.

On Sunday, AT&T blocked one of 4Chan's many message boards, the infamous /b/ board, widely known as a spawning ground for Internet memes, bizarre humor and edgy pornography.

Online pundits quickly cried foul, accusing AT&T of censoring the anarchic message board, but as early as Monday morning, software engineers and other tech analysts were suggesting that one or more online attacks had been originating from 4Chan's IP addresses, or at the very least, someone behind the attacks was making it look like 4Chan was behind it.

Today 4Chan founder Christopher Poole, aka Moot, confirmed that a DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack had originated from 4Chan's image-hosting subdomain, img.4chan.org. A DDoS attack is a "distributed denial of service" attack, which knocks out a website (or group of websites) for its intended users.

Despite the admission, Poole said that AT&T went too far in response to the attack.

“They essentially dropped a nuke instead of using the fly swatter,” Moot said. “I was told by someone within the company that an engineer essentially overreacted and made a mistake in choosing how to deal with a rather trivial issue. That’s how we got to where we’re at now.”

The 4Chan message board is also credited for siring any number of high-profile online movements and pranks, including the shadowy Internet organization Anonymous.

After AT&T's blockade of the site Sunday, reports started appearing online saying that AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson had died, apparently due to a cocaine overdose that happened while he had hired a number of male exotic dancers. None of that happened, and no one has taken credit for the prank.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More