EU Promises Hands Off Internet

BRUSSELS, Belgium — In a move looked at with both skepticism and hope by many in the online world, officials at the European Union announced today that new broadcasting rules scheduled to hit Europe later this year will not include new regulations of the Internet.

The announcement came after officials at the EU met earlier this week to decide how audio and visual content on the Internet should be covered by EU broadcasting laws.

But while EU Information Society Commissioner Viviane Reding said she had “no intention to regulate the Internet,” her comments at a broadcasting conference in Liverpool, England early Thursday left some broadcasters in doubt.

"Who in this room is in favor of child pornography on the new media?” she asked. “Who stands for the freedom to spread incitement to racial hatred on the new media?”

Reding added that child protection and hate speech rules should apply to Internet broadcasts, by default supporting the controversial plan to impose an EU-wide law over different mediums throughout Europe.

Many broadcasting companies, as well as Internet firms in Europe, are wary of such a law, convinced that any attempt to enforce content in the new “on-demand” world would be unrealistic at best and fascist at worst. Most of the concern voiced so far has argued unnecessary regulation would inhibit the market and create industry uncertainty throughout Europe’s online community.

"Our own research suggests that public expectations of BBC online content are very different from their expectation of what they see on BBC Television,” British Broadcasting Corporation director general Mark Thompson told reporters at a news conference Wednesday. “They simply do not feel they need, or want, the same level of protection."

Thompson added that the Internet should be allowed to regulate itself based on some form of popular consensus, not governmental regulation.

AOL Europe seems to concur with the idea of self-regulation. The company published a paper on the EU’s official website this week arguing common standards were already in place on the Internet.

"As AOL has demonstrated over a number of years, it is in our commercial interests to be a responsible self-regulating service provider," the paper said.

Several other major players in Europe’s online market agreed, including Yahoo! Europe. Representatives at Yahoo! posted a similar paper that proclaimed. the Internet was not “the Wild West,” and that all the major players in the online world already worked hand-in-hand with governments to track nefarious elements like child pornography.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More