MySpace Hands Over Names of 90,000 Sex Offenders

HARTFORD, Conn. — MySpace today handed over the names of 90,000 registered sex offenders who had registered at the popular social networking site and been removed over the last two years.

The move came at the behest of Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who was acting on a deal made last year between MySpace and 49 states to help identify sex offenders online.

Besides following up on the deal, Blumenthal was enforcing a law called the KIDS Act, and it requires that sex offenders send their real email and instant-message information to the National Sex Offender Registry.

But despite the seemingly unassailable nature of these actions, civil rights advocates and researchers see some problems. A recent Harvard University study indicated that supposed threats to minors online was overblown.

"Minors are not equally at risk online," the report said. "Those who are most at risk often engage in risky behavior and have difficulties in other parts of their lives."

Free Speech Coalition Chairman Jeffrey Douglas has also voiced concerns about these kinds of laws because of the fluid nature of the phrase "sex offender."

"I understand how no sane person could be sympathetic with a certain kind of sex offender, but there are a wide range of sex offenders," he told XBIZ.

For example, Douglas described a case in California where an 18-year-old man drove by his old high school and clicked his teeth to flirt at some passing students. Because a "minor" is anyone under 18, flirting with those students was enough to land that man, who had just turned 18, on a sex offender list.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

Show More