Manhunt Founder’s Donation to McCain Not Returned

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A controversial personal donation made by Manhunt.net co-founder and CEO Jonathan Crutchley to John McCain’s presidential campaign was to have been returned, according to published reports. Records now show otherwise.

Manhunt is one of the industry’s largest gay networking websites. It earns an estimated $30 million per year from a primarily gay male customer base, according to an Out magazine profile.

The Politico.com blog examined last month’s campaign finance records and there is no record of the McCain campaign returning Crutchley’s donation.

“Indeed, while the contribution caused a bitter backlash against Crutchley inside the gay political world — and a backlash against that backlash — there was never any indication of a backlash from the Republican side,” Politico’s Ben Smith said.

“McCain has never been well suited to the role of culture warrior, and his aides declined at the time to comment on Crutchley or the contribution,” Smith added.

Crutchley was asked to step down from the Manhunt board of directors after news broke of his $2,300 donation to the McCain presidential campaign.

“According to Manhunt co-founder Larry Basile, he asked Crutchley to resign after members of the site began canceling their subscriptions,” XBIZ reported last month.

Basile issued a formal statement announcing Crutchley’s resignation and said that he was “embarrassed” when he found out about the donation.

In light of McCain’s mixed record toward gay rights and his stance against same-sex marriage, Basile said, “Politically, it was just off-base, with the whole feeling over here at Manhunt.”

Basile subsequently revealed to the Boston Herald that Crutchley has been told the money would be returned.

“So, if Smith is correct, Crutchley’s donation still sits in McCain’s coffers, working hard to defeat gay rights,” wrote gay blogger Andy Towle.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More