McCain Returns Crutchley’s Donation

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A story in Saturday’s Boston Herald reported that republican presidential candidate John McCain has returned a personal donation made to his campaign from the co-founder/CEO of gay adult networking website Manhunt.net Jonathan Crutchley.

The action from McCain came one day after Crutchley had stepped down from his position as CEO of Manhunt.net, in response to negative backlash from the gay community, once the donation was revealed on socio-political blog Huffington Post.

According to Manhunt co-founder Larry Basile, he asked Crutchley to resign after members of the site began canceling their subscriptions.

Basile, who issued a formal statement on Friday announcing Crutchley’s resignation, said that he was “embarrassed” when he found out about the donation.

In light of McCain’s mixed record toward gay rights and his stance against same-sex marriage, Basile said, “Politically, it was just off-base, with the whole feeling over here at Manhunt.”

Oddly enough, the story received little mainstream media attention even after the donation was made public by Huffington Post. The revelation coincided with a profile story featuring Crutchley and Manhunt.net posted on Out.com, in which the author referred to Crutchley as a “liberal Republican.”

Last week, gay blog Towleroad.com called attention to the situation, and was also the media outlet that Basile sent his formal statement to on Friday, when Crutchley stepped down.

At some point over the weekend, Crutchley was informed that his donation was being returned by the McCain campaign.

Reportedly, the Manhunt.net founder decided, at that point, to give the donation to McCain’s democratic rival and presumptive presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Basile quoted Crutchley as saying, ‘If John is too good for my money, I’ll give it to Barack.’ ”

Apparently, Crutchley has also issued a letter to Manhunt.net employees, explaining his actions and pledging his support to Obama.

Basile also has speculated that the donation will be returned by the Obama campaign, considering the publicity that the situation has already provoked.

“Barack can’t endorse this kind of adult content. It’s sort of like a third rail,” Basile told the Herald. “I would imagine if it’s tough for one, it’s tough for the other.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More