Joe Francis Pleads Not Guilty on Tax Evasion Charges

LOS ANGELES — "Girls Gone Wild" founder Joe Francis pleaded not guilty to felony tax evasion charges Monday in Los Angeles.

In a brief hearing at U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Francis pleaded not guilty to charges that he had deducted more than $20 million in bogus business expenses on his corporate returns during 2002 and 2003, and a trial date was set for Sept. 16 in Los Angeles. Francis had been indicted in April 2007 in Reno before the case was transferred to Los Angeles to make it more convenient for witnesses.

"No matter how much the government pursues me because of what I do for a living, I will be vindicated again because ultimately the truth will come out," Francis said Monday in an interview outside the courtroom.

"This case results from his criminal conduct and not from any other motivation," said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the Justice Department.

The government claims that Francis used offshore companies and nominee signatories on bank and brokerage accounts to conceal much of his income during the two-year period.

Francis' attorney, Robert Bernhoft, said a former corporate accountant for Francis' Mantra Films Inc. of Santa Monica and Sands Media Inc. of Nevada prepared tax returns without showing them to Francis. After leaving the companies, Bernhoft said, the accountant contacted the IRS seeking millions of dollars in bonuses for reporting his own "accounting mistakes," under a government whistle-blower provision nicknamed "the rat-out-your-neighbor program."

Under the program, informants can collect 15-30 percent of the money eventually recovered from tax cheats by the government, including penalties and interest.

"This ain't 'Girls Gone Wild.' This is the IRS gone wild," Bernhoft said. "The American taxpayers should be outraged that an IRS program is being abused like this."

Bernhoft defended mainstream actor Wesley Snipes in Ocala, Fla., this year. Snipes was acquitted of tax fraud and conspiracy charges but convicted of three misdemeanor counts of failing to file tax returns.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pure Taboo Debuts 'Behind the Scenes Documentary' for Latest 'Under the Bed'

Pure Taboo has released a behind-the-scenes documentary on its series “Under the Bed,” spotlighting the episode “The Growth.”

Connie Perignon Toplines David Perry's 'Sexual Desires 2'

Connie Perignon headlines director David Perry's “Sexual Desires 2” from Evil Angel.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Rae Sixty Nine Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Rae Sixty Nine has made her TransAngels debut opposite Adam x Lee in the studio’s latest release, titled “Cock Ride.”

Ariel Demure Toplines 'TS MILFs' From TransSensual

Reigning XMAs Trans Performer of the Year Ariel Demure headlines “TS MILFs,” the latest title from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Lana Wolf Returns to Immoral Productions

British star Lana Wolf stars in a new two-part scene from Immoral Productions alongside Dean Van Damme and studio honcho “Porno” Dan Leal.

Lulu Chu, Connie Perignon Star in 'Locked, Cocked & Loaded' From Brazzers

Lulu Chu and Connie Perignon star with Victor Ray in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Locked, Cocked & Loaded."

Adriana Chechik Returns to Evil Angel With Blowbang From Jonni Darkko

Adriana Chechik has returned to Evil Angel with a blowbang from director Jonni Darkko.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

Show More