ICANN Opens Up Internet to Free-Form TLDs

PARIS — ICANN has approved a new measure that will open up the Internet to a virtually unlimited supply of top-level domains for a price.

ICANN voted unanimously to let individuals, businesses and organizations – just about anyone – submit an application to ICANN for their own top-level domain, better known as the suffix at the end of a web address, like ".com" or ".org."

They'll start accepting applications at the beginning of 2009.

ICANN also voted today to allow non-Roman characters in domain names, opening up the Internet to web addresses that include Arabic, Asian and letters from a variety of languages.

In order to secure a custom top-level domain, applicants will have to submit a business plan and demonstrate that their proposed domain has some kind of "technical capacity." In addition, ICANN will charge between $100,000 to $500,000 for a custom top-level domain.

“This is the biggest change to the way people find each other on the Internet since its inception,” said Paul Twomey, ICANN’s president and chief executive officer. “What we’re effectively doing is opening up huge amounts of online real estate.”

The measure also opens up the possibility that the much-maligned .XXX top-level domain may find new life through this commercial channel.

ICM Registry President Stuart Lawley had been trying to secure the rights to a .XXX top-level domain for years, only to see his company's application killed by ICANN in March of last year.

Last week, Lawley posted on the ICM Registry homepage that his company has filed a petition for an independent review of ICANN's decision.

Despite the new avenue to securing .XXX, Lawley told XBIZ that he and his company will continue to pursue the lucrative top-level domain through their formal petition.

"The new application process will take a couple of years to settle in," he said.

But what if that formal petition also fails? Will Lawley simply try to apply for and purchase .XXX through this new channel?

Lawley demurred, only saying that he and his company "will continue to pursue .XXX to the very end."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More