ICANN President Blasts U.N. Push for Internet Control

GENEVA, Switzerland — ICANN President Paul Twomey said members of the international community who have been calling for the United Nations to take control of the Internet away from his organization and, ultimately, the United States are “living in a political fantasy land.”

Twomey’s resolve on the issue may be good news for adult webmasters who would potentially fall victim to severe content restrictions if an international body were placed in charge of the Internet.

Critics including U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan have been critical of both ICANN practices and the United States’ influence over Internet governance.

Annan has on a number of occasions suggested that cyberspace should be overseen by an international body and commissioned the U.N.’s Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG) to formulate a global plan for managing the Internet and present it at the upcoming world summit in Tunisia.

But the WGIG appears to have failed at the task. Instead, it released a report last week that merely suggests a number of possible options for Internet governance.

Twomey said the failure of WGIG members to agree on how the Internet should be run is a sign of what could happen if oversight were taken away from ICANN.

“There is no indication as I can see that there is going to be any sort of support for a binding international treaty that is going to cover all countries of the world and bind all of the companies involved with the internet through that treaty,” Twomey said. “I just don’t see it happening.”

While adult webmasters in the United States find themselves steering down the barrel of impending 2257 record-keeping regulations, the impact of 2257 on their content could be minor compared to the possible impact of international content restrictions.

In the grand, global scheme, the United States is less restrictive than the majority of the world. For example, Muslim countries strictly forbid adult content of any kind, and many Asian countries including China routinely shut down websites they deem obscene.

The U.S. Commerce Department in June released a four-point memo in which it asserted that it intended to “maintain its historic role in authorizing changes and modifications to the authoritative root zone file” after its current agreement with ICANN expires late in 2006.

Many saw the memo as a challenge to ICANN, but Twomey said he instead read the memo as a clear sign to the U.N. that the United States has no intention of forfeiting its oversight of the Internet to any international powers.

“I think some in the media misinterpreted it as being a document directed towards us,” Twomey said. “It was a document directed towards other governments.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More