Pending Bill Would Punish Companies That Use Consumer Information to Target Ads

NEW YORK — New legislation is picking up steam in New York that would make it harder for Internet giants like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo to use information collected about web surfers as a basis for targeted advertising.

New York state assmeblyman Richard L. Brodsky drafted the new bill, which would make it a punishable-by-fine crime for certain online companies to use information about web surfers without their consent.

“Should these companies be able to sell or use what’s essentially private data without permission?" asked Brodsky, a Democrat. "The easy answer is absolutely not.”

Adult industry lawyer Ira Rothken told XBIZ that even though the law appears to target the big kids on the virtual block – Microsoft, Google and Yahoo – it might affect the adult industry, too.

"It might have an impact to the extent that there are any adult affiliate companies or ad networks that track users' clicks to build an advertising profile," he said, though he cautioned that as far as he knows, the language of the New York bill hasn't been settled yet.

That exact language of the law might raise other Constitutional concerns as well, Rothken said. He explained that because the virtual space of the Internet ignores state and national boundaries, the New York law, if passed, might force Internet companies nationwide to abide by it out of caution.

"And that might be unconstitutional," Rothken said, adding that litigation over the matter may involve the Dormant Commerce Clause, the legal concept that tacitly grants Congress the authority to prevent states from passing laws that affect interstate commerce.

The pending legislation in New York also raises questions about how Internet companies can and should balance the need for users' privacy and the need for efficient advertising.

Earlier this year, a judge in Australia mounted an argument that runs contrary to Assemblyman Brodsky's proposed law. While considering a law that would force online companies to get surfers' consent before using their information, High Court Justice Michael Kirby said that the march of technology was unstoppable.

"It was a good moral and ethical principle to keep people's control over the usage that was made of the information ... and then along came Google and Yahoo," Kirby said. "And when the new technology came, there was a massive capacity to range through vast amounts of information. The notion that you could control this was a conundrum."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More