Judge: 'Friend' Request Violated Protection Order

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — A Staten Island judge has ruled that that a "friend request" made via MySpace.com can constitute a violation of a temporary protection order like any other means of communicating with the protected individual, the New York Law Journal reported.

Ruling in the case People v. Fernino, Judge Matthew A. Sciarrino Jr. held that a "friend request" could still be considered a violation of a protection order entered in the case, regardless of the use of MySpace as an intermediary for the communication.

"While it is true that the person who received the 'friend request' could simply deny the request to become 'friends,' that request was still a contact, and 'no contact' was allowed by the order of protection," Sciarrino wrote. "It is no different than if the defendant arranged for any agent to make known to a claimant, 'Your former friend wants to communicate with you. Are you interested?'"

In the case, a 16 year-old named Melissa Fernino was barred by a family court from contacting a woman named Sandra Delgrosso or her two teenage daughters. The conflict between the parties reportedly resulted from a relationship between Delgrosso and Fernino's father.

Staten Island Family Court Judge Terrence McElrath issued orders of protection prohibiting Fernino from contacting Delgrosso or her daughters last year. In July, 2007, shortly after the orders were issued, Fernino allegedly sent separate MySpace friend requests to Delgrosso and both of her daughters.

Delgrosso reported the contact to the police, and Fernino was charged with three counts of second-degree criminal contempt for her alleged violation of the orders of protection. Fernino moved to dismiss the criminal contempt charges, arguing that even if true, the allegations did not support the charges.

In his decision, Sciarrino described use of the friend request feature, and found that despite its differences from means of communication the defendant could have employed there was no difference under the law between a friend request and any other form of barred communication.

"[T]he defendant used MySpace as a conduit for communication prohibited by the temporary order of protection issued by the family court," Sciarrino wrote, adding that the friend request was covered under the family court's mandate that the "[r]espondent shall have 'no contact' with Sandra Delgrosso."

Asked whether there was any potential liability for social networking sites when such situations arise, attorney Joe Obenberger of JD Obenberger and Associates told XBIZ that any liability is attached to the person violating the protection order, unless authorities "see some sort of aiding and abetting going on."

"With protective orders, all of the focus is on keeping [the respondent] away from the protected person," Obenberger said. "The important thing is not potential liability of the website — that's very, very unlikely to enter into the equation. The order is designed to prevent communication by any means or modality. It could be smoke signals, it could be semaphore, but [the respondent] can't just pretend that they aren't trying to circumvent the order by using some other agency or intermediary."

In other words, Obsenberger said, it is not the form or means of delivering communication that protective orders are prohibiting, it is the respondent's communication, itself, that is barred.

"The bottom line is that no matter what sort of communication the human imagination can devise, that communicative technique can be covered under a protective order," Obenberger said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

Show More